Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Onion Cheddar Bread

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Onion Cheddar Bread

Onion Cheddar Bread

It's cold today, so how about making some tasty onion cheddar bread to go with a bowl of hot soup with me. I put this all in my bread machine on the dough setting, then let it raise in the loaf pan and baked it in my oven. You don't have to use a bread machine. You can knead by hand. No adjustments to the ingredients.

You will need the following ingredients:
    2 1/2 cups bread flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix (or less depending upon how much you like onions)
    2 Tblsp butter
    1 Tblsp frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 1/3 cups warm water
    2 tsp active yeast
    1 Tblsp sugar
    1 1/4 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
    melted butter to brush on the top
    Add yeast and sugar to warm water. Let stand until foamy. Stir in butter and orange juice concentrate. Add to dry ingredients and knead until smooth. Cover and set in a warm place to double in bulk. Punch dough down and roll into an 8" x 10" rectangle. Cover with shredded cheese. Roll up tightly and pinch edges to seal. Place in a sprayed loaf pan, cover, and set in a warm place to double. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top and hollow sounding when tapped. Brush top with melted butter. Allow to cool slightly before cutting if you can stand to wait that long.
    Peggy

Name:  onion cheddar bread 5.jpg.JPG
Views: 995
Size:  896.3 KB
    Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Yum! that looks fantastic!

It looks delish! Thanks!

That looks like a must try. Thanks for the recipe. Love my bread machine, but the only kind that anyone eats is the cinnamon raisin recipe. Will see if this is an addition to my list.

Do you add the onion soup mix at the point where you have the beep (on my machine its called the MIX setting...like when you add raisins) Or can I just dump it in with the flour?
    I'm putting this on tonights menu...yum!

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    Do you add the onion soup mix at the point where you have the beep (on my machine its called the MIX setting...like when you add raisins) Or can I just dump it in with the flour?
    I'm putting this on tonights menu...yum!
    I just put it in with the flour. I forgot to say in the recipe that it also has 1/2 tsp salt.
    My daughter tried it last night when she got home from work and said "This is seriously the best bread I've ever had". I hope your family likes it. Cinnamon raisin bread is one of my favorites too. I am planning to try an apple pie bread in the next few days. Peggy
    Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Oh, that bread looks so good. I will be trying that later this week. Let us know how the apple pie bread turns out and include recipe. Yummy.
    Patimint

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Oh yummy !! Thanks for sharing
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

OMG!! I can smell it from here.....
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt.

YUMMY! I'm going to have to try this one.