Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Orange Soda in Tomato/Spaghetti Sauce? >

Orange Soda in Tomato/Spaghetti Sauce?

Orange Soda in Tomato/Spaghetti Sauce?

Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 PM

Default Orange Soda in Tomato/Spaghetti Sauce?

A friend of mine mentioned that he goes to a pizza restaurant that has the best tomato sauce. Apparently they put orange soda (pop) in the sauce to sweeten it. Has anyone ever tried this? Just curious.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 PM

I never heard of that before , It may be ok but I don't think I would try it as orange and tomato flavors do not sound too appealing mixing inside the stomach
Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 PM

I'm not sure of the orangs, but I but sugar in with the tomato sauce to cut the acid. I am guessing that is why the soda.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:05 PM

Oh gosh, do we have to add more sugar to commercial tomato sauce that already has sugar in it? i think not. Make your own sauce and skip the sugar.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Jane quilter. When making your own sauce you can cut some of the acid by adding juiced carrots. I would even prefer to add cane sugar or honey over soda as soda usually has corn syrup as a sweetener and other undesirable ingredients.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

I can't remember what it was but someone I knew added orange soda to something they made. I would give it a try.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I'm not sure of the orangs, but I but sugar in with the tomato sauce to cut the acid. I am guessing that is why the soda.
maybe someone is " pulling his leg". When I do sauce from scratch or even jarred, I put a pinch of baking soda to cut the acid. A friend puts in a carrot? Never tried that myself
Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 AM

I have a friend from Argentina who used to make a pasta sauce with tomatoes, cream, and orange juice. It was delicious.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
maybe someone is " pulling his leg". When I do sauce from scratch or even jarred, I put a pinch of baking soda to cut the acid. A friend puts in a carrot? Never tried that myself
Geri, how much baking soda? My mom (age 97) complains about how the tomato sauce has way too much acid for her - but she loves spaghetti, and I am not making it from scratch - so I definitely need to add something to cut the acid.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 PM

My definition of a pinch is amount you can get between your thumb and index finger....it will foam a bit, stir and it will settle. Beware....too much will ruin the sauce......no fixing it...ask me how I know...do it while sauce is cooking...... If I'm making a huge pot of sauce, I will put a couple of pinches in.......makes a difference...no heart burn afterwards