Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Peach Pie >

Peach Pie

Peach Pie

Old 09-01-2011, 02:56 PM

I found a great recipe for peach pie. Pie making is not my forte but it turned out wonderful. For those of you that can't have sugar you could probably use Splenda.

Grandmother's pie crust recipe:

For 2 crust pie:

2 C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 C shortening (Crisco)
1/3 ICE cold water

Sift flour and salt together. Cut in shortening with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle water slowly into mixture. Combine ingredients with hands, working quickly to form a ball. Divide into 2 parts, trying not to handle it too much. With floured hands, turn onto floured surface (I used floured wax paper) and roll into a circle (approx. 14" diameter). With a knife, cut decorative slits in the "top" crust. Fold crusts into 1/4's to easily transfer to pie pans.

Grandmother's Peach Pie:

9 peaches - peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 C sugar
8 dashes cinnamon
5 dashes nutmeg
1 dash salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 T. flour

Fold above ingredients together and pour into 9" pie shell. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into small pieces and place on top of filling. Cut steam slits into top crust and place over filling. Crimp edges. Divide 2 Tbsp. butter into tiny bits (again) and place on outside of top crust, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn oven down to 350 and back for another 30-40 minutes until golden.

Enjoy

Lynn :lol:
Old 09-02-2011, 04:02 AM

Thank you!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:01 AM

thanks........
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Sounds great, thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:30 AM
lbc

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Sounds yummy
Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 AM

thanks for sharing, I am not good at making pie crusts, but will try again anyway.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
thanks for sharing, I am not good at making pie crusts, but will try again anyway.
Here's a recipe I found about 30 years ago when I was about to give up on baking pies.

No Fail Piecrust
4 C unsifted flour
1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1-3/4 C solid shortening (Crisco)
1 T vinegar (white or cider)
1 large egg
1/2 C water

1. Put flour, sugar and salt in bowl, mix w/fork. Add shortening and mix w/fork until crumbly.
2. In a small bowl beat egg, water and vinegar. Combine mixtures stirring w/fork until well moistened. (Don't worry about over-handling it.)
3. Divide into 5 or 6 portions and shape w/hands into a flat round patty ready for rolling.
4. Wrap in plastic or waxed paper & chill for an hour. (Can freeze at this point).
5. When ready to roll, lightly flour both sides of the patty on a lightly floured board. Rub a little flour on the rolling pin and roll from the center out to keep the crust round. Roll to about 1/8" thick or 2" larger than the pan.
6. Add filling, dampen the edges of the bottom crust and top w/second crust. Crimp between index finger and thumb, trim and bake per directions with filling.

I like having these on hand in the freezer. A few minutes on the counter to defrost and they are ready to go.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM

mmm sounds good. This weekend is the Peach Festival in Romeo Michigan and everything is peachy.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:49 PM

As a diabetic, I was so glad to see so many sugar free foods being put on the market. Then I started having trouble with my stomach. It took me two years to figure out that Splenda was the culprit. It give me lots of gas and my insides feel like they are trying to turn inside out. So my choices in the marketplace back to the dark ages. Almost all the sugar free products have gone to Splenda: the candies, canned fruits, gum, ice creams, etc. limiting what I can buy. I know for a fact that at least one other person has the same trouble I have. I hope Stevia proves to work for me.