Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pressure Cooker Recipes >

Pressure Cooker Recipes

Pressure Cooker Recipes

Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Pressure Cooker Recipes

I have only had a pressure cooler for about six months.

Would love if folks could share tried and true recipes....don't need links, would like recipes that readers have used as not all the info I have found on line is correct. Would really like one dish meals.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Go to cooks.com....They have tons of free, printable recipes.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Your best bet would be to follow recipes that came with your brand of pressure cooker. If you're not familiar with using one, it's important to follow the instructions for your specific equipment to the letter. These things have been around for a long time, but there is a certain amount of danger from having ingredients under pressure, so you don't want to get careless. Generally, I stay in the kitchen where I can monitor that it's working correctly and avoid forgetting about it. Things cook very fast and I like the results much better than similar things from a microwave or slow cooker.

I have a big one that I inherited from my mother many years ago and still use. My favorite recipes are for pot roast, porcupine meatballs and red cabbage. You can find all that sort of thing online if you search - best to include the brand name of your own pressure cooker because their website will no doubt have versions of recipes that have been tested to work best in it. I have noticed that the recipes for newer cookers don't mention what level of pressure to use. I assume they only have one setting. I don't know what is would be, but my old one can do 5, 10 or 15 pounds, and the timing is quite different for each.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM

check out www.missvickie.com
Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 AM

Lorna Sass's books are fabulous. I use her recipes and have made lots of soups just using the ideas she has. I use it practically ever day. I do saute the vegetables in a skillet first as I live in a very small flat and it is easier. I have a Kuhn Rikon that I have had for five years. They are stainless and clean up fabulous. I can't begin to list all of my favorites.
Try her books. Tomodachi
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM

Rose_P,
Is your pressure cooker the on the stove type or electric?
Sharon
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM

I agree....Miss Vickie...the recipes are stupendous! you can get her book on amazon.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM

I have both of Miss Vickie's cookbooks and got a Lorna Sass book when I got it. Mine is a stove top, does not do varying pressures, but has a fixed setting with my valve. They aren't as dangerous as they used to be because of all the safety features, plugs that release with excess pressure.
I am glad to hear that the Miss Vickie book is recommended, as I have seen some online recipes and cook books that have much longer cooking times and wondered about the discrepancies. That is why I asked for tried and true recipes, I can search on my own for recipes, but you never know what is really a good recipe. I have done more than one recipe online that was wrong.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Rose_P,
Is your pressure cooker the on the stove type or electric?
Sharon
On the stove. It's a Presto, but a style that is no longer being made. The new pots look about the same, but the gauges are different. I've never used an electric one, but I imagine the recipes would be similar. It's just best to go with the manufacturer's advice, IMO.

Thanks PostalPackinMama - that website looks very useful!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Great Meat Balls
I get frozen meat balls at Sam’s, and then I put about ½ the bag in my pressure cooker with a jar of your favorite sauce. Bring it to pressure then turn it off. Let it set 10 to 15 mins.
This puts the flavor of your sauce through out your meatballs. I figured out how a restaurant here makes their famous 4” meatballs. Mine are smaller but just as good, and fast.