Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   "Mock" Strawberry Preserves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/%22mock%22-strawberry-preserves-t140918.html)

debbieumphress 07-28-2011 11:28 AM

We have fig trees at my mom's and dad always made this recipe. Everyone swore it was strawberries but in fact figs have the same texture. Hope you try it.

2 qt. sliced figs
6 cups sugar
2 (3oz) pkg strawberry flavored gelatin
1 (1-3/4 oz) powdered fruit pectin.

Combine the first three ingredients in a large saucepan and let stand until syrup forms. Bring to a boil over a full flame. Continue boiling 20 minutes. Add the fruit pectin. Continue boiling 2 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars. Seal immediately.

jljack 07-28-2011 03:19 PM

No liquid added? How long does it take 6 cups of sugar & dry gelatin mix to turn to syrup with only sliced figs?

alikat110 07-28-2011 04:05 PM

Sounds yummy

sumcoop 07-29-2011 03:23 AM

I also like it with Grape jello or Blackberry, or black cherry. Its good!

debbieumphress 07-29-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
No liquid added? How long does it take 6 cups of sugar & dry gelatin mix to turn to syrup with only sliced figs?

Usually abuot 2 hours. It's like when you put sugar on strawberries, they get juicy quick. ALl I know is it is so good. Dad used to take it to reunions and loved the remarks he got. They just knew it was strawberries.

Like the idea of other flavors too. Now I want to make blackberry. :thumbup:

arimuse 07-29-2011 06:59 AM

I had a recipe, once, from my MIL from her MIL for green tomato jam. It sort of followed this recipe, you cut up/cooked green tomatoes and added jello - I lost the recipe. This was a really good recipe for end of season gardens to use up green tomatoes before a killing frost. this yr, it seems the drought will kill everything first sharet

RuthEm 07-29-2011 05:05 PM

Thia is the same recipe I used to make years ago, when my MIL had fig tree. It's so good....thanks for reminding me. Now I'll have to find some figs!!(lol) Yum!

arimuse 07-29-2011 06:47 PM

ok, here is a recipe for green tomato jam, not my MILs but it sounds close. you can sub any jello. sharet
green tomato jam
Ingredients
2-1/2 cups pureed green tomatoes (about 3 medium)
2 cups sugar
1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
Directions
In a large saucepan, bring tomatoes and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Skim off any foam. Pour into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. head space. Cool before covering with lids. Refrigerate. Yield: about 3 cups.

Karyn 08-01-2011 05:20 AM

I made this one time and loved it, my hubby had a fit!!
He said: Karyn you can buy strawberry preserves anywhere, rarely do you see fig preserves that you can buy. I haven't made them since. I thought they were great.