Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Angel Food Cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/angel-food-cake-t11089.html)

Elizabeth A. 09-10-2008 12:36 PM

Angel Food Cake and the what to do with the left over egg whites from the ice cream recipe!

Now I thought this recipe called for 8 egg whites, which would be leftover from two batches of ice cream, but I was wrong it calls for 12 which means three batches of homemade ice cream. Oh well we'll survive! :D Never once have I had this cake “fall” and since I’ve learned this method I only make it homemade.

12 egg whites (they have a product on the market called Meringue power, I use it when I make royal icing, but I don't really like the flavor of the stuff, so I only use real egg whites, if you did subsitute you would need to not add the cream of tartar and add the water required on the Meringue powder label 2 tsp. Meringue powder + 2 tbls water = 1 egg white - if you go this path I can't help you I've never done it)
1 1/4 cup white flour
1 3/4 cups sugar (I was once afraid the sugar would make my cake fall and used powered sugar but I've since learned I was just being silly and regular white sugar is fine)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extra
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

1. In a large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temp (don't worry about germs everything gets cooked and will die in the oven) about 1 hour

2. after eggs have set preheat oven to 375 degrees F CHECK the height of your oven racks to be sure the angel food cake pan fits - it should cook on the bottom rack.

3. We long longer need to sift flour so I'm omitting the directions.

4. With electric mixer (portable mixer or stand are fine) at high speed, beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar unit soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised.

5. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, ¼ cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are raised.

6. With rubber scrapper or wire whisk, gently fold extracts into egg whites until combined.

7. Slowly add flour mixture one forth at a time, over egg whites. With wire whisk or rubber scraper, using an under-and-over motion gently fold in each addition with 15 strokes, rotating bowl a quarter of a turn after each addition.

8. Then fold an additional 10 strokes; flour mixture should be blended into egg whites.

9. With rubber scraper, gently push batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan (an angel food cake pan). With spatula or knife, cut through batter twice.

10. With rubber scraper, gently spread batter in pan until it is smooth on top and touches side of pan.

11. Bake on lower rack, 35 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted into cake comes out clean.

12. Invert pan over neck of a heat resistant bottle (a stable vase or empty wine bottle works well), let cake cool completely – about 2 hours.

13. With spatula (I like to use a butter knife), carefully loosen cake from pan; remove. Serve as desired.

If you don’t have an angel food cake pan, the following changes allow you to make an angel-food loaf cake.

1. Preheat over to 375F. Prepare as directed above. Divide batter evenly between two ungreased 9”x5”x3” loaf pans.
2. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
3. Invert cakes by hanging each pan between 2 other pans, let fool completely-about 1 hour.

As with the Homemade Ice Cream this little gem come from my 1963 MacCalls cookbook.