Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Apple Bars (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/apple-bars-t202592.html)

patchsamkim 10-07-2012 01:46 PM

Apple Bars

Made these recently for a church event...everyone wanted the recipe...so thought I would share here also. The recipe came from a quilting friend who recently passed away...she was an expert quilter/appliquer...did most by hand. I will think of her every time I make these.

Apple Bars

Crust:
1-1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
½ cup butter, softened
2 Tbls apple cider

Filling:
1 egg
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1 tsp lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup flour
4 cups cups chopped, peeled apples

Topping:
½ cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

FOR CRUST: combine flour, sugar, cinnamon. Cut in butter with pastry blender. Mix in apple cider and press into 9x13 pan.
FOR FILLING: combine egg, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar and flour. Fold in the apples. Spread over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
FOR TOPPING: mix together ingredients. Sprinkle over cake, and bake another 10 minutes.

My variation: Drizzle caramel sauce over top of cake before serving.

Option: Next time I make, I will probably do the topping with only the sugar, cinnamon and nuts, not the flour.

lynndianne 10-08-2012 04:38 AM

That sounds wonderful. I've always believed that two things that should be shared are recipes and plants.

Thanks for sharing.

Lynn

irishrose 10-08-2012 02:27 PM

They sound very good. I would think the topping would need a bit of butter to hold it together if you use flour. I like crumb topping on many things. The caramel sauce is a nice addition.

Murphy1 10-09-2012 07:14 AM

I love apple season. We live near a place called Apple Hill and I always look forward to going up several times each season for a variety of apples. Apple recipes are such a treat, this one is on my list, going to make it today. Thanks so much for sharing.

QandE2010 10-09-2012 09:29 AM

Oh, it looks like it'll be yummy. I have copied it & placed it in my recipe file. Thanks for sharing.

nannyrick 10-09-2012 11:25 AM

Oooooh, this sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

patchsamkim 10-09-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5571480)
They sound very good. I would think the topping would need a bit of butter to hold it together if you use flour. I like crumb topping on many things. The caramel sauce is a nice addition.

The butter sounds like a good idea if going to use the flour....otherwise, just leaving the flour out is what I plan on doing the next time I make them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tothill 10-27-2012 02:03 PM

Sounds like a lovely recipe and one that I could make with gluten free flour successfully.

I used to have a recipe that was similar, but used cream cheese instead of sour cream and had sliced almonds too.

rebeljane 11-12-2012 07:59 AM

Definately going to try this recipe

Revend 11-15-2012 07:27 AM

This sounds good. I hope that this will provide good taste. I am very impressed with this recipe. I have learnt lot of recipes today. Great forum.