Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   before sure gel??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/before-sure-gel-t164534.html)

ncredbird 10-31-2011 06:30 AM

You may be able to contact the event coordinator via the internet and see if they can refer you to someone who would have the recipe. Ann in TN

Ramona Byrd 10-31-2011 07:50 AM

I remember those jams and jellies...poured into sterilized, boiled jars with a thin layer of wax poured over it. THEN a long piece of yarn or string was coiled in it and draped over the side, then more wax poured over that. The string was to help pull up the wax when you wanted to serve it.

madamekelly 10-31-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso
PT, no, it was apple preserves. she said. real chunky and thick. so, do you just cook, and cook and stir, and cook it down? the recipe off the internet said nutmug,
6 C apples, cored, sliced
1 C. water
1 T. lemon juice
l pkg pectin powdered
4 C. sugar
2 tsp. nutmug
it was just tooo sweet, and was more like jelly when i got done, with a FEW chunks. maybe my apples were too soft. next yr, i'll try it with 1/2 that sugar, firmer apples, and just cooking it down.

I remember Grandma saying sweet apples make lousy jelly. She used only tart apples for her apple canning.

Alondra 10-31-2011 05:13 PM

I never use SureGel - just use fruit with plenty of pectin. I've never figured out why people use it.

gmcsewer 10-31-2011 06:01 PM

Ny sister learned from her MIL to make currant jelly without pectin. Something about cooking till it slides off the metal spoon. I tried but it never worked for me. But I think by cooking it longer, it would have more vitamins in it for winter nourishment.

Maybe1day 10-31-2011 10:56 PM

We don't have/use sure gel is Australia. When I make jams I add lemon juice and cook it until what ever fruit I am using softens then i will bring it to 220F which produces a nice rolling boil which can't be stirred down. Cook it at this temp for 5 minutes then turn off wait a few minutes (up to 5 mins) then jar as usual.

I should say I usually do a sheet test before I jar it just in case it needs a little more time although usually this is enough.

Maybe1day

sewNso 11-01-2011 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alondra
I never use SureGel - just use fruit with plenty of pectin. I've never figured out why people use it.

have you ever made chunky apple preserves? and would you please explain how you make your jelly/jam?

sewNso 11-01-2011 03:36 AM

thanks maybe1day. what's a sheet test? put in on a plate to see if it's firm enough for you?

sewlisa 11-03-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd (Post 4605523)
I remember those jams and jellies...poured into sterilized, boiled jars with a thin layer of wax poured over it. THEN a long piece of yarn or string was coiled in it and draped over the side, then more wax poured over that. The string was to help pull up the wax when you wanted to serve it.

Oh now that's clever. Never saw my Mom or grandmothers doing that. They say that you shouldn't seal jars with wax anymore, though, so I won't get to try it.

pls1946 11-03-2011 07:54 PM

Sure Gel makes a special concoction for using less sugar, it is right beside the regular Sure Gel at my grocery.I made a new apple jam this year 6C peeled & chopped apples, 1/2 C water, 1 tsp butter, cook to rolling boil, add 1 box, regular Sure Gel bring back to a boil. Add 1 C sugar and 3 C brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice. Again to a rolling boil, stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute, remove from heat. I left my apples a little larger than what I think of as chopped cause I like apple pieces in my jam.