Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Beignets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/beignets-t180456.html)

vintagemotif 02-23-2012 08:07 PM

Beignets

[h=3]Ingredients:[/h]
  • 1 envelope active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105°)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 7 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup shortening, softened
  • oil for deep frying
[h=3]Preparation:[/h] In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk. Whisk or use electric mixer to blend thoroughly. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add shortening; gradually blend in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Deep fry at 360° for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve hot with coffee.

Caroline S 02-23-2012 08:32 PM

Oh I have not had Beignets in years. My father was born and raised in New Orleans so I do remember those Beignets he made. Going to make some tomorrow.

BluegrassGurl 02-23-2012 08:45 PM

YUM!!!!! I love Cafe Du Monde beignets!!!!

I am going to have to try this recipe. Thanks!!

lynndianne 02-24-2012 05:28 AM

Oh, this brings back memories....two husbands back in New Orleans. Thanks for sharing. I will make these.

Lynn

fran624 02-24-2012 07:48 AM

Oh boy these are almost like the ones the Italians make in March for St. Joseph's Day Haven't made them in years. Got to find the receipe and do them again. Only thing I don't like now is the frying in deep oil.
Fran

huntannette 02-24-2012 07:52 AM

We call them "beigne" and i miss the ones my mother-in-law used to make...thy were the best....unfortunately her recipe got lost after she passed away....although we miss her more......so i will try this recipe, maybe bring back memories...thy sound so good....

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5002851)
[h=3]Ingredients:[/h]
  • 1 envelope active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105°)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 7 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup shortening, softened
  • oil for deep frying
[h=3]Preparation:[/h] In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk. Whisk or use electric mixer to blend thoroughly. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Add shortening; gradually blend in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Deep fry at 360° for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve hot with coffee.

caspharm 02-24-2012 09:12 AM

Thanks for the recipe. We tried some at one shop near us (supposedly had great beignets) and they were greasy and doughy. DH and I had never had them before, but from foodTV shows know they should be light and fluffy. Can't wait to try it.

greenini 02-24-2012 10:09 AM

Gosh, they look and sound wonderful. But recipe is too big for just 2....

We used to stay at a B & B on Nantucket and she knew we loved her doughnuts, she just used white bread dough and deep fried it....brings back wonderful memories...

craftymatt2 02-24-2012 01:47 PM

these sound devine, never had them but can't wait to try them, thank u for sharing.

suzanprincess 02-24-2012 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=greenini;5004429]Gosh, they look and sound wonderful. But recipe is too big for just 2....

Recipe could easily be cut in half; packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons. Think I'll try a half batch myself!