Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Black Walnut Chiffon Cake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/black-walnut-chiffon-cake-t155066.html)

skydiver70 09-22-2011 05:58 PM

Black Walnut Chiffon Cake

2 1/4 cups sifted plain flour (very important that you sift the flour)
1 1/2 cups white sugar

3 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Sift above ingredients together twice (very important). Make a hole in middle of sifted ingredients and add:

1/4 tsp. black walnut flavoring
3/4 cup black walnuts
1/2 cup wesson oil
3/4 cup water
5 egg yolks

Mix 3 minutes on medium speed and set aside. Put 8 egg whites in mixing bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar; beat on high speed until stiff but not dry. Fold into first mixture. Bake in tube or bundt pan 1 hour and 10 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool in pan 1 hour.

Frosting/Icing:
1 1/2 boxes powdered sugar
1/4 tsp black walnut flavoring
1 stick margarine
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
enough milk to make icing spread good

Mix well and spread on cake.

Hope you enjoy!

Mary (skydiver70)

Dianemarie 09-22-2011 06:12 PM

Thank you for sharing.
In one place you say black walnuts and another just walnuts.
Our daughter and son- in - law farm walnuts; any reason why we can't use english walnuts - they are just regular walnuts.
I can use the black walnut flavoring and just regular walnuts ?

please pm me.
again thank you ~

amazon 09-22-2011 06:52 PM

Sounds delish! Thanks :thumbup:

fidgety 09-22-2011 07:10 PM

Well if anyone needs some black walnuts just let me know! Of course you will have to hull them and crack them yourself! Our dully pickup bed is almost full and they are still falling off our trees. aarrggg

blueangel 09-23-2011 04:34 AM

Sounds so good

sarahrachel 09-23-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
Thank you for sharing.
In one place you say black walnuts and another just walnuts.
Our daughter and son- in - law farm walnuts; any reason why we can't use english walnuts - they are just regular walnuts.
I can use the black walnut flavoring and just regular walnuts ?

please pm me.
again thank you ~

my grandma grew up on a farm and they had 2 english walnut trees. When she married and they got their own house, they planted an english walnut tree. Eventually the tree died and it had to be cut down. We (my parents) had some property with black walnut trees and took some to her, hulled and cracked. She said she didn't know how to bake with them and my dad said just like you do with english walnuts.

Long story short, black walnuts just have more flavor to them than english walnuts. You can still use them, walnuts are walnuts, one's just walnuty-er than the other

And thanks for the recipe!!

grannypat7925 09-23-2011 09:11 AM

My mom used black walnuts in anything that called for nuts. Now, when I bake, the flavor just isn't the same without Black Walnuts! They are a mess to hull and dry but worth it for the flavor!

4L 09-23-2011 10:13 AM

My mother used to make a walnut chiffon cake with a powdered sugar glaze. she always put it on one certain lovely serving plate. I asked to have the plate from the estate. I have it in my hutch but could never find the recipe for the wonderful cake.. THANK YOU!! This is WONDERFUL!! when I make it I will put it on the special plate...

Marge L. 09-23-2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
My mom used black walnuts in anything that called for nuts. Now, when I bake, the flavor just isn't the same without Black Walnuts! They are a mess to hull and dry but worth it for the flavor!

Knowing how to crack them is the secret. That was always my job when I was at home. Hickory nuts were the ones I hated. There is no secret to cracking them. To me English walnuts have not flavor at all. The black ones are so flavorful and are my favorites Those and pecans.

GAgal 09-23-2011 03:51 PM

Your recipe sounds delicious. Will have to see if walnut flavoring is available in my area.