Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Blueberry Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/blueberry-recipes-t266708.html)

ladydukes 06-22-2015 07:55 AM

Blueberry Recipes

I just picked a five gallon bucket of fresh blueberries, so I'm looking for all sorts of wonderful tried and true recipes for them as well as various canning recipes. Last year I made blueberry jam with some of them.

Rosyhf 06-22-2015 08:05 AM

I dearly love blueberry jam. I make icecream, blueberry muffins, waffles and freeze a lot of blueberries. Lay them on a flat tray freeze then put in freezer bags. I don't have recipes, I just check the web etc.

SewExtremeSeams 06-22-2015 02:01 PM

Each year we buy 150+ pounds of blueberries from the Mossy Rock area in Western Washington, bring them home and quickly get them into 1 gallon Ziplock bags and freeze them. When I need blueberries for a recipe I just shake out what I need and zip it back up and put the remainder back in the freezer. We use them for blueberry pies, muffins and other goodies. I want to try to make blueberry syrup this year.

Here is my most used recipe:

Hubby Approved Blueberry Pie

I have been baking blueberry pie for several years now, using various recipes. Sometimes I hit it right on the taste approval mark and sometimes I am off. I recently made one that tasted great but leaked all over the foil that was under the pie tin while baking. To make this story a little shorter I will just cut to the recipe. Please keep in mind that the following recipe which I have developed is a way that works for me. Hopefully, it will work for you.
Please read through entire recipe before starting.

Set premade pie dough rolls out to warm on counter at least a half hour. Mine were room temperature but not warm.

Blueberries: thaw and drain (if you have to rebag and refrigerate overnight due to time, strain your blueberries again) Save the juice for blueberry syrup to pour over ice cream, pancakes, yogurt, etc.

Ingredients

6 Cups of blueberries, thawed and drained
1 Tablespoon of bottled lemon juice
¾ Cup of instant tapioca
1 Cup of Splenda, there is room to play with this amount ~ Hubby like it a wee bit sweet
½ Cup of sugar, granulated, adjust to your sweetness liking
2 Tablespoons of butter, soft or melted
Optional: 2 tsp. to 1 T. of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg

Bake 450-20-25 min. 350-35-45

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, except butter, and toss until well mixed. Let this mixture set for up to 30 minutes. Unroll your pie dough and lay out in the bottom of a 8” or 9” pie tin. Pour blueberry mixture in and spread out. Pour melted butter evenly around the blueberries or put small amounts of soft butter evenly around the top of the blueberries. Unroll and lay out the second pie crust over the top of the blueberries. Seal the edges of the pie and crimp with your fingers.

I lay a sheet of aluminum foil on top of my cookie sheet because I don’t like cleaning baked on pie drippings of my cookie sheet or the bottom of my oven. Place the pie on top of the foil/cookie sheet and put it in a preheated 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

THEN, turn your oven down to 350 degrees and bake for 30-45 minutes or until done. The times are approximate, you be the judge. I usually look for it to be bubbling and look for it not to be too runny before I will take it out of the oven. The foil and cookie sheet may make it take longer than expected to reach this stage of doneness. Let it sit for an hour before slicing… unless you just can’t stand it. Cooling gives it a chance to set up a bit. However, usually Hubby doesn’t want to wait that long.

dflynn 06-22-2015 05:58 PM

Try JoyofBaking.com. Many nice recipes for blueberries.

nanacc 06-22-2015 08:27 PM

Check out the Kraft site. They have had some great recipes for blueberries recently.

celwood 06-23-2015 04:05 AM

Blueberry cobbler. My family does not even let it get cool after I take it out of the oven

sbrown04 06-23-2015 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes (Post 7234719)
I just picked a five gallon bucket of fresh blueberries, so I'm looking for all sorts of wonderful tried and true recipes for them as well as various canning recipes. Last year I made blueberry jam with some of them.

Blueberry Crunch

Start with glass 9x13 pan, sprayed with Pam
Add ingredients as listed:
large can of crushed pineapple
3 cups of frozen (but washed) blueberries
If blueberries are not sweet,you can add a little sugar at the point. (I never do)
1 box of yellow or white cake mix (dry)
1 stick of butter melted
I run the tines of a fork along the dry cake mix to keep the butter from running to the same spot.

If you like nuts, you can add about a cup before you add the cake mix.
Cook for about 30-40 minutes at 350 and enjoy. Sometimes we add ice cream. Great for pot luck dinners.

meanmom 06-24-2015 03:00 PM

Make a blueberry/ rhubarb pie.

thimblebug6000 06-27-2015 07:38 AM

Here is one that my work buddy gave me in 1984 and I love it, but it does make enough for at least 12 people.

Fran's Banana Split Cake

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup sugar

Combine crumbs, butter & sugar and mix well. Press into a 13 x 9 x 2 " pan and chill for 1 hour.

2 cups icing sugar
½ cup softened butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Cream icing sugar and butter; add egg and vanilla. Blend well and spread over crumb mixture and chill for 1 hour longer.

4 bananas
blueberries/strawberries or raspberries
2 cups whipped cream
2 small tins pineapple tidbits (about 3 cups total estimate)
1 cup chopped walnuts

Slice bananas and place on cake. Place a layer of berries over the bananas. Drain the pineapple well and place a layer over the berries. Spread the whipped cream on top and cover with walnuts. Chill.... just typing this makes me hungry for some! Enjoy!

quiltin-nannie 06-28-2015 04:44 AM

Speaking of blueberries, I know you shouldn't wash before freezing as that makes them stick together in freezer, but when you are ready to use them, do you wash them while frozen, or wait for them to thaw.