Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Bread making in machine problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/bread-making-machine-problems-t214299.html)

Carron 02-19-2013 06:49 PM

Bread making in machine problems

I know there are smarter than me people out there and I am seeking your help. I have a breadmaker machine, Zojirushi and an excellant machine at that so the problem must be me!
For years I have used this breadmaker and the same receipe with great results but the past several times my attempt to get a good looking loaf is short of perfect. The top caves in the center about one inch.:(
The bread is very good tasting and could pass as perfection except for the top. :thumbdown: I have atlered the amounts of ingrediences to the point that I am running out of ways to figure out what is wrong.
All fresh ingrediences, good yeast, measure carefully....
When I make bread, I call the ole fashion wa ynot using the machine, the bread comes out of the oven in wonderully shaped loafs.:)

Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks for your time if you can help.

oksewglad 02-19-2013 07:16 PM

My Black & Decker has a handy trouble shooting guide. For a problem like yours one can try any of the following:

Decrease liquid by 2 T
Increase salt by 1/4 t
Decrease yeast by 1/4 t

After trying this with one adjustment if that doesn't work try 2 adjustments at the same time.

How do you store your flour? Outside humidity can absorb into the flour requiring you to use less flour. I see you are in the desert but are you having a "rainy" spell right now? Just a thought. Good luck. I love my bread machine.

grandmahoney 02-20-2013 04:22 AM

I have the same problem. And I have had several bread machines and have had this problem with them all. So I make my bread dough in the machine on the dough setting. Then put it in my pans let it rise the second time and bake it. There is still nothing like bread that comes out of the oven. The hard part is done by my bread machine and that is mixing and the first rising.

romanojg 02-20-2013 06:41 AM

First of all, I totally agree, it's the best machine as far as I'm concerned. I've had numerous others and two of these and will never buy another brand. I have the best luck with it and it does so much more than bread. First of all make sure you are layering the ingredients in the pan in the order of the book. Wet first, then all dry with yeast on top. Make sure your yeast is good. You can always proof your yeast before putting it in the machine just in case your temp isn't right for that part of the process. This machine heats up the liquid to the right temp for the yeast. King Arther web site has lots of tips and recipes for this machine. I hope it gets better. Also try using the Better for Bread Flour or King Arthur's flour, it has the right amount of gluten in it to make it better.

EasyPeezy 02-20-2013 01:12 PM

I've gone through several bread machines and I've had the best results when mixing
the dough in the machine then remove it, shape it and put it in a loaf pan.
Let rise and bake in the regular oven.

nygal 02-20-2013 01:31 PM

I can't offer any help but just today I baked bread in my new bread machine that I got for Christmas. YUMMMY

Carron 02-20-2013 06:31 PM

Thanks Tammy, have not tried this yet but may do so.

Originally Posted by morelcabin (Post 5873983)
Sounds like maybe the thermometer or the heating element in the breadmaker may be the problem...You could always mix and rise in the bread machine but put in loaf pans for the second rise and pop it in your oven for a really great loaf :) do it this way all the time

Carron 02-20-2013 06:33 PM

I appreciate your tips, will try that too.

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 5874006)
My Black & Decker has a handy trouble shooting guide. For a problem like yours one can try any of the following:

Decrease liquid by 2 T
Increase salt by 1/4 t
Decrease yeast by 1/4 t

After trying this with one adjustment if that doesn't work try 2 adjustments at the same time.

How do you store your flour? Outside humidity can absorb into the flour requiring you to use less flour. I see you are in the desert but are you having a "rainy" spell right now? Just a thought. Good luck. I love my bread machine.

Carron 02-20-2013 06:38 PM

I do follow the rules when loading the ingredients and I use King Arthur's bread flour...also the fresh bulk bread flour from Winco....I tell my hubby that "I will keep failing until I succeed"... thanks for responding.

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 5874910)
First of all, I totally agree, it's the best machine as far as I'm concerned. I've had numerous others and two of these and will never buy another brand. I have the best luck with it and it does so much more than bread. First of all make sure you are layering the ingredients in the pan in the order of the book. Wet first, then all dry with yeast on top. Make sure your yeast is good. You can always proof your yeast before putting it in the machine just in case your temp isn't right for that part of the process. This machine heats up the liquid to the right temp for the yeast. King Arther web site has lots of tips and recipes for this machine. I hope it gets better. Also try using the Better for Bread Flour or King Arthur's flour, it has the right amount of gluten in it to make it better.

imnywoman 02-20-2013 07:01 PM

I can't offer any solutions, but if you are using King Arthur products, call their bakers hotline and they will help you figure it out.