Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cabbage Soup - No, WAIT! - Come back! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cabbage-soup-no-wait-come-back-t241292.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-17-2014 11:12 AM

http://robynsview.com/2012/03/homema...ix-recipe.html

I have not tried it,but this looks like a good possibility for home made dry ranch mix. I'm not sure I've ever seen dry buttermilk, but it's worth looking for.

Bottle Laker 02-17-2014 01:49 PM

You can find the buttermilk powder in the backing section of the grocery store.

slbram17 02-17-2014 02:36 PM

I found dry buttermilk in the baking items department of the grocery store. Cost was a little over $4 .
Serita

GrammieJan 02-17-2014 07:15 PM

The buttermilk powder brand name is Saco. Maybe SACO.
I use it in making cornbread, etc.

Yooper32 02-18-2014 05:57 AM

I so had to laugh at your title for this thread....I used to make a cabbage/gr. beef/tomato casserole, and it was the "best", so I am sure I will like your easy soup recipe too.

apronlady 02-18-2014 07:28 AM

I haven't tried these yet, but I thought I'd share a Facebook post that I copied (originator's name is Crystal Ess.) I like the fact that they use spices that are commonly found in kitchens. Lord knows I've bought MANY healthy ingredients at health food stores to make just one recipe and found them to be a disaster! Time flies, and before you know it, the expiration date is a couple years old...money down the drain! Staying organized and saving money feels good. I'm making the ranch mix today:

Make your own Ranch, Dry Onion Soup Mix and Taco Seasoning and store in small mason jars....This is soooo much HEALTHIER than those you buy at the store!! They contain a TON of stuff that is not good for you!!

Taco Seasoning:
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon sea salt
Put ingredients into a jar and shake.

Dry Onion Soup Mix:
2/3 cup dried, minced onion
3 teaspoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Mix all ingredients in a jar, then give the jar a good shake. I’d recommend shaking the jar to mix the ingredients well before each use.
Use 4 tablespoons in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix. Store this in a dry, cool place.

Ranch:
5 tablespoons dried minced onions
7 teaspoons parsley flakes
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Mix together and store in an air tight container.
For dressing: Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk or sour cream.
For dip: Mix 2 tablespoons dry mix with 2 cups sour cream or Greek Yogurt.
Mix up a few hours before serving, so the flavors all blend.

collector49 02-18-2014 08:25 AM

I made this soup yesterday. It was delicious! So easy to make. Thanks for the recipe. It's a keeper.

Rose_P 02-18-2014 10:44 AM

Thanks to all who responded, and thanks, apronlady, for sharing your mix recipes! I had a container of the ranch mix that I bought at a big box store not too long ago, and I put some in this soup mainly as a way of getting some of it used before the expiration date.

Tartan, there's not the slightest chance I would eat the same thing every day. The main thing that's wrong with diets that ask us to do something like that is it's just not sustainable and it doesn't train us to eat a normal, balanced menu, which should be our long term goal. It takes time to establish good habits.

A large part of diet for me is struggling to keep the goal in mind, and the goal should be not so much ideas like fitting in a certain outfit by a certain date, after which I can "celebrate" by binging, but trying to do whatever it takes to maintain good health for as long as possible. It's so difficult because the very best moments of our lives are often closely tied in with rich, sweet, fatty and/or salty food and we're constantly surrounded by temptation and messages that say "indulge".

I have to work very hard to enjoy food that doesn't insult my body and threaten my well being, but it turns out that preparing healthy food is not necessarily a big strain. In fact, a focus on simplicity actually makes it easier. For me, the main culprit is sugar of every type. If I shun food that has any kind of sugar in it, I automatically eliminate a lot of other overly processed ingredients. Simple is whole food with nothing added. I eat eat, chicken, fish, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk, butter, eggs and nuts. Any "processing"gets done in my own kitchen, and the less I do to it, the better. The Ranch dressing mix obviously violates that tenet as does canned ingredients, for the most part, but I'm not able to be totally fanatic, and if the number of sugar grams on a product label keep it down below about a teaspoon per meal, I might indulge.

slbram17 02-18-2014 03:49 PM

I just got this recipe for dry ranch dressing mix in my email:

•1/3 cup, Powdered Milk
•2 Tbsp, Dry Parsley
•1½ tsp, Dried Dill
•1 tsp, Dried Chives
•2 tsp, Garlic Flakes
•2 tsp, Onion Flakes
•2 tsp, Onion Powder
•1 tsp, Black Pepper

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 6579188)
Sounds yummy to me! So many recipes are calling for dry ranch dressing mix--I wonder if anyone has a recipe to make your own and save a little money and some sodium???

LoriMcc 02-18-2014 05:26 PM

I cook a lot like you...I call most of my soups, "Empty the Refrigerator Soups" as they are whatever I have on hand. This one will fit right in! :)