Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Can anyone help me with this biscuit recipe? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/can-anyone-help-me-biscuit-recipe-t212988.html)

mythreesuns 02-05-2013 07:58 AM

Buttermilk biscuits are very high in fat content, but oh so ever tasty. The two things I would really change about the directions... only mix the flour and butter first.. until you get the mealy look to it, then never ROLL out the biscuit dough if you want fluffy biscuits. For 17 years I made biscuits for a living. You want to handle the dough as little as possible. After it is mixed, form a ball and press down to about 1 inch thickness, then fold over and press down again into 3/4 inch thickness then use the rolling pin to just smooth out the top. The least you work your dough, the fluffier and moister tasting they will be. And always use the least flour for rolling as possible also. If you also put your cutter in flour each time before you make a cut, the biscuits will pull open evenly.

Oh man...now I am sooooo hungry for them... guess I know what I am making for supper tonight. smiles lol

damaquilts 02-05-2013 09:34 AM

I may try it but I wonder how it would come out with all butter since I never buy margerine.

oldtnquiltinglady 02-05-2013 10:27 AM

This must be a fever that is going around this year--I haven't made home-made biscuits in 15 years (the kind you use a dough bowl and sifter, remember), but we went to eat at the Loveless Cafe as few weeks ago, and those were ABSOLUTELY the best biscuits I have ever eaten (I ate three before we even placed our food order). They would not even pretend to let me have their recipe even though they sell the mix in the little store they run. The girl did have the wherewithall to tell me that even if I did buy it, and make the biscuits with it, they would not taste like the ones we ate at lunch because of all the preservatives they have to add to the mixes.

So, I have gotten out my dough bowl, etc. and have made several pans of biscuits instead of heading out to my sewing room these past few weeks. And today, I think I got close. My secret is Crisco, self-rising flour, buttermilk, a little bit of sugar, and as little working as you can. Make them stand up nice and round as you gather up just a little dough and form about a 2" round ball, real close together, brush the tops with melted butter; then when they are done, brush the tops again with melted butter. If you don't know how to make biscuits this way, get someone to teach you how--no rolling out on a floured surface. It is amazingly quick, once you learn how. Yum yum yum.....

meanmom 02-05-2013 03:55 PM

I only like homemade biscuits. The canned ones have a funny taste. I was thinking about making biscuits and gravy for dinner tonight. I made chicken instead. Maybe tomorrow. I might have to try this recipe. I have some buttermilk I need to use up.

kitsykeel 02-05-2013 11:26 PM

One thing I thought was interesting was that the lady on TV baked her biscuits in cupcake tins. She said they hold their shape and are taller than when baked on a flat pan.

My time 02-06-2013 04:26 AM

Before margarine and chrisco were invented wouldn't they have used lard? I wonder how they would be if you replaced the margarine with lard. It's not a wonder these are tasty with a 4 c.flour/2 c.. Fat ratio. I have never frozen biscuits! Do you freeze them unbaked? Do you thaw them before baking? I love, love biscuits!

oldtnquiltinglady 02-06-2013 11:56 AM

Two cups of lard/Crisco would seem like too much for a 4 cups of flour recipe--I might use l/2 cup mixed into my milk mixture; but the flour that I work into that would not come near being 4 cups--that is enough to fill my little dough bowl and you would only use enough flour in that little bowl-like circle you form to pour the milk into. I realize this is a pretty difflcult visual, but once you try it, it is like putting a quilt square together--that "aha" moment, you know...

Grandma Bonnie 02-06-2013 03:25 PM

The first thing I thought also was that 24 biscuits is an awful lot for 3 servings!!!

thimblebug6000 02-10-2013 08:01 AM

I used 1/2 this recipe last night, it was so good I ate 3 of them! Good thing we were eating them with healthy Lentil soup. I put 3/4 cup plus 2 TBSP buttermilk aside (actually made sour milk with vinegar instead) then I put 2 cups all purpose flour; 2 TBSP baking powder; 2 TBSP white sugar in the bowl & used my pastry cutter to cut in 1 cup (1/2 pound) butter. Once it was cut in, I poured the buttermilk in & mixed it just enough to hold together. Then I greased a 12 hole muffin tin & divided the mix into each. Baked in a preheated 375*F oven for 20 min.....had a peek & left for another 5 minutes.... they literally melt in your mouth....so buttery! Thanks for sharing the original recipe.

Chasing Hawk 02-10-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Bonnie (Post 5843254)
The first thing I thought also was that 24 biscuits is an awful lot for 3 servings!!!

I thought the same thing.

I may make them sometime in the future. This weeks menu is not calling for biscuits. Which reminds me I need to get my spaghetti sauce out of the freezer for dinner tomorrow.