Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Can pasteurized eggs be used in salads and desserts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/can-pasteurized-eggs-used-salads-desserts-t221658.html)

judylg 05-16-2013 06:43 PM

Can pasteurized eggs be used in salads and desserts?

Have a recipe that my mother made while I was growing up, at the time she would have used farm fresh eggs. Now with all of the salmonella etc., am a little hesitant to use raw eggs. Can egg beaters be used in these recipes?

wanda lou 05-16-2013 08:14 PM

I never ever use uncooked eggs in recipes, while alot of people say it's fine, It can make you very ill.
Just leave them out, bet you will not even notice it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-17-2013 01:37 AM

Yes, you can use Egg Beaters in everything I've ever tried to use them in. The carton says how much equals 1 egg so it's not hard to do the math and dump them in.

I have not had such good luck with leaving eggs out of certain things. Homemade ice cream without eggs just didn't work at all for my taste buds.

tessagin 05-18-2013 08:19 AM

I purchased raw eggs a couple weeks ago and wiped them with a cloth soaked in vinegar. had no problem. Going back to the same place to purchase more. If my husband doesn't have time for breakfast, he will crack a raw egg in a glass of milk and drink it (not me). He has never gotten sick. But I always wiped them with vinegar soaked rags. I don't do the egg beaters! Ughh!

judylg 05-18-2013 08:26 AM

If that works for you and it has, it is good. Not heard of it before.

MacThayer 05-18-2013 04:53 PM

I used to live in England, where we never even bothered to refrigerate eggs, and I used them in everything without problems. One thing to know about eggs is that if you take them directly from the hen without washing them, the hen leaves a protective surface on the egg that prevents permeation of the shell by bacteria. So has long as your hen is not infected (which can happen) and you don't wash the eggs until ready to use them, you're safe.

BTW, I also raised chickens for years, and never had problems with samonella.

Granna of 5 06-05-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer (Post 6071871)
I used to live in England, where we never even bothered to refrigerate eggs, and I used them in everything without problems. One thing to know about eggs is that if you take them directly from the hen without washing them, the hen leaves a protective surface on the egg that prevents permeation of the shell by bacteria. So has long as your hen is not infected (which can happen) and you don't wash the eggs until ready to use them, you're safe.

BTW, I also raised chickens for years, and never had problems with samonella.

Thanks for the information about not washing fresh laid eggs until ready for use. My niece has kept me in eggs for about a year now and it is good to know and I did not know this.