Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   can't find it (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cant-find-t123622.html)

Aunt Patti 05-16-2011 05:30 PM

my mom used to make a frosting on the stove and when she was down it was like stiff Marshmellow creme My daughter wants it on her birthday cake NaNa always made it for her i hope someone has something like that evidently she didn't need a recipe been going through every book and recipe she had Please help

QuiltE 05-16-2011 05:43 PM

Oh that was good stuff ... we used to get it as a special icing when we were kids!

Try a google search for boiled frosting or 7 minute boiled frosting.

shawnemily 05-16-2011 06:46 PM

Boiled Frosting

•1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
•1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
•2/3 cup boiling water
•2 egg whiles
•1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine granulated sugar and cream of tartar in saucepan. Add boiling water and stir until sugar is dissolved.
Place saucepan over heat and bring mixture to a boil.
Boil rapidly, without stirring, for about 10 minutes or until syrup forms a soft ball in cold water, or until candy thermometer indicates 240 degrees.
Remove from heat while testing. Beat egg whites until stiff.
Pour hot syrup in fine stream over egg whites, beating constantly with electric mixer until frosting is cool and of proper spreading consistency.
Stir in vanilla.

ScubaK 05-16-2011 09:13 PM

Reading this, the picture appeared in my mind. I had forgotten about this...what a great frosting.
I will try this recipe.
K

Gerbie 05-17-2011 03:57 AM

Yes I remember so well, it is 7 minute icing.I have always thought it looks so pretty on a cake. My mother made it so often. It was never one of my favorites, because for me it was definitely toooo sweet. But was and still is a favorite of my brother's. He makes it all the time.
Use the recipe posted above, when you make the frosting you will know it is done when it forms stiff peaks after beating in the egg whites.

Ann S. 05-17-2011 06:31 AM

This brought back memories...my Mom made a 7-minute frosting and sprinkled sweetened coconut on top of the frosting. It was 7-minute because you beat it 7 minutes in a double boiler. After one day, the outside of the frosting was crispy. Yummmmmmm.

grannypat7925 05-17-2011 08:14 AM

Fluffy White Icing
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. corn syrup
2 egg whites stiffly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
Heat first 4 ingredients slowly to boiling and cook without stirring to 242 degrees or until a small amount dropped from tip of spoon spins a long thread. Pour syrup slowly onto the beaten egg whites, beating constantly. Beat until cool and thick enough to spread. Add vanilla.
Will frost one two-layer 9 inch cake.

This is good and a little quicker than the 7 minute icing.

craftybear 05-17-2011 03:50 PM

thanks for the recipes

annpryor 05-17-2011 06:52 PM

Yes it was called 7 minute icing.

Aunt Patti 05-19-2011 09:55 AM

thank you thank you thank you I can't wait to make it luv Aunt Patti let U know how it turns out