Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Celery Onion Stuffing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/celery-onion-stuffing-t5254.html)

sondray 03-15-2008 09:38 AM

Celery-Onion Stuffing

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup butter
4 cups slightly dry bread cubes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

Cook 1 cup chopped onion, and 1 cup chopped celery in 1/4 cup butter.
Combine 4 cups slightly dry bread cubes, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4
tsp sage, 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley. Add onions and celery and mix
well.

violets4me123 06-29-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sondray
Celery-Onion Stuffing

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sage

well.

I think you need to add chicken broth to this recipe to make it moist. (any kind of broth of your choosing). Just a thought. :D

craftybear 06-30-2011 06:07 PM

thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by violets4me123

Originally Posted by sondray
Celery-Onion Stuffing

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sage

well.

I think you need to add chicken broth to this recipe to make it moist. (any kind of broth of your choosing). Just a thought. :D

Carol's Quilts 07-01-2011 04:05 AM

Violets wrote: I think you need to add chicken broth to this recipe to make it moist. (any kind of broth of your choosing). Just a thought.
-----------------

This is very similar to my recipe to which no liquid is added. This is a stuffing that goes inside the bird, not a dressing that is baked separately. It uses stale bread (still somewhat soft), not those hard, dry bread croutons from the store. The moisture from the vegetables, the butter and the juices absorbed from the chicken/turkey provide all the moisture you need for a flavorful, fluffy stuffing (which is then covered in gravy on your plate! ) Anything moister would be wet and soggy and gummy.

I have baked it separately, but just cover it tightly with foil. The steam created will provide plenty of moisture; in fact, I remove the foil the last few minutes to dry it out a little and crisp up the top.

I guess everyone has different tastes.

violets4me123 07-01-2011 04:26 AM

Thank you! It does make sense, now to me. I use the dry bread. (reason I use broth on my dressing). Thank you again.

Carol's Quilts 07-01-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by violets4me123
Thank you! It does make sense, now to me. I use the dry bread. (reason I use broth on my dressing). Thank you again.

You're most welcome! You are right, however, about the dry bread croutons - you really do have to add broth when using them.

Patti Mahoney 07-02-2011 01:07 PM

Your recipe is exactly the way my Mom used to make our Christmas and Thanksgiving turkey stuff except she used to boil the heart, liver and gizzards, (that little package that is usually stuffed inside the turkey, at least it is when you buy them from the grocery store) cut them into small pieces and put them in the dressing. I used sage sausage once and it turned out great. There are so many variations you can use for this simple recipe once you make the basic recipe. Sorry folks, I'm a city girl, all my life. Some of you probably have the luxury of having a farm fresh turkey. Yum Yum..........Thanks for sharing.

violets4me123 07-02-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
Your recipe is exactly the way my Mom used to make our Christmas and Thanksgiving turkey stuff except she used to boil the heart, liver and gizzards, (that little package that is usually stuffed inside the turkey, at least it is when you buy them from the grocery store) cut them into small pieces and put them in the dressing. I used sage sausage once and it turned out great. There are so many variations you can use for this simple recipe once you make the basic recipe. Sorry folks, I'm a city girl, all my life. Some of you probably have the luxury of having a farm fresh turkey. Yum Yum..........Thanks for sharing.

This is how my grandmother and mom and I still do my dressing; boil the heart, liver and gizzards and chop it finely and add the liquid it was cooked in, and we also add sliced black olives and poultry and sage seasonings and we also add a raw egg to mix and to hold the dressing together. It's delicious!!

blueangel 09-24-2011 05:16 PM

Thanks