Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   cookies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cookies-t135760.html)

Aunt Patti 07-06-2011 11:09 PM

I need a recipe for a cookie or brownies that use mashed sweet potatoes. or any kind of a sweet. i have a little guy who has severe allergies especially to white potatoes. there r even snacks like cheetoes or doritos that use potato starch in them as a binder especially to make the spices and cheeses stick to the chips I know it is a strech but I am hoping thank-you in advance Aunt Patti

Airwick156 07-06-2011 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Patti
I need a recipe for a cookie or brownies that use mashed sweet potatoes. or any kind of a sweet. i have a little guy who has severe allergies especially to white potatoes. there r even snacks like cheetoes or doritos that use potato starch in them as a binder especially to make the spices and cheeses stick to the chips I know it is a strech but I am hoping thank-you in advance Aunt Patti

Hi. Here is a place to find a recipe for cookies for you. They actually sound pretty good to me. Sweet Potato cookies with Pecans is one recipe there. Good luck.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...r/bl71109a.htm

Sweet Potato Desserts. Including pies and cakes. :)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/swe...o_Desserts.htm

craftybear 07-07-2011 03:19 AM

I will surf and see if I can find some recipes for you

38 recipes here

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,sweet_potato_cookies,FF.html

Originally Posted by Aunt Patti

Angellight 07-08-2011 06:31 AM

Don't forget that you can make pumpkin bars/cookies and probabaly carrot also. They are healthy & good at the same time. I found this recipe a few years ago, and they are VERY good!

This is another unique, easy to make, and amazingly delicious recipe from Susie Fishbein. The recipe comes from her Kosher by Design - Entertains cookbook. I serve these parve Pumpkin Doodle Cookies, next to Chocolate Pecan Pie and Apple Pie, for dessert on Thanksgiving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
• 1 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
• 1 large egg
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Preparation:
1. In the bowl of a mixer at medium speed, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined.
2. Add in the egg and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, with a fork, mix the cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and flour.
4. Slowly add it into the batter, you will have a sticky light orange colored batter.
5. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for an hour. If you are pressed for time, place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
8. In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon.
9. Using a small spoon, scoop up a spoonful of batter. Roll it into a ball between your hands.
10. Roll the ball in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on the prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
11. Bake 12-15 minutes.

TIP:
I substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder for the cream of tartar and baking soda.
I left the cookie dough in the fridge for a day before I got around to baking them.

SOURCE: Kosher by Design: Entertains, by Susie Fishbein. Recipe reprinted with permission from Mesorah Publications.

Good luck,
Susan

Ramona Byrd 07-08-2011 06:33 AM

[quote=Aunt Patti]I need a recipe for a cookie or brownies that use mashed sweet potatoes. or any kind of a sweet. i have a little guy who has severe allergies especially to white potatoes.
--------------------------------------------
Look online at the Nightshade family, which includes potatoes/tomatoes/peppers, etc. And most likely there are lesser allergens with THEIR off kinfolks, which might be cumulative instead of instant allergens. My late DH was a plant propagator, who himself also had lots of allergies, so that was a subject we were vitally interested in. And no smoking should be allowed around your little guy, as well as watching his food intake.
Have you checked out Taro root? My dear late MIL used to put them into nearly everything!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Nightshades - a description

Nightshades are a diverse group of foods, herbs, shrubs, and trees that have fascinated scientists, doctors, and nutritionists for centuries. "Nightshade" is actually the common name used to describe over 2,800 species of plants, many with very different properties and constituents. All of the plants, however, belong to a scientific order called Polemoniales, and to a scientific family called Solanaceae. To give you an idea of the diversity associated with this group of plants, consider the fact that tobacco, morning glory, potato, and tomato are all classified as nightshades.

Ramona Byrd 07-08-2011 06:40 AM

During the 1930s depression my Grandma used to make "Pumpkin pie" from several things, and they all looked and tasted good. She used pumpkins, squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, pinto beans!!!!! Almost any veggie or fruit that could be mashed and cooked. With the addition of all those spices, eggs and milk, the original veggie taste couldn't be identified. If she said it was punkin, looked like punkin, smelled like punkin, tasted like punkin then it WAS a punkin pie and you ate it and liked it. And I suspect that the addition of flour or some other binder would make some neat cookies.

PuNkin was what came out of the garden.

PumPkin was what came out of cans!!! That P in it meant you had to spend money you couldn't afford on buying what you could raise.

mariemy 07-08-2011 01:41 PM

Try these, yummy!!!! My kids go crazy for them and they have no allergies, they just plain love um.

Sweet Potato Brownies
Adapted from Body + Soul, April 2009

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup organic cane sugar
2/3 cup sweet-potato puree (or one skinned, boiled sweet potato, pureed)
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square pan; set aside.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cocoa. Let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in sugar and sweet-potato puree, then egg.

Add vanilla to cocoa mixture. Then add flour mixture to cocoa mixture and stir until no traces of flour remain. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake until surface of brownies looks barely dry and an inserted knife comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.