Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Corn on the cob - freezing??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/corn-cob-freezing-t149660.html)

littleone 09-01-2011 02:59 PM

Do any of you freeze your Corn still on the cob? I have 3 doz. already shucked, peaches and cream. Can't possible eat it all now but would love it later in the year. I already have shucked kernal corn in the freezer so would like some on the cobs. Any secrets on freezing the cobs much appreciated. Dar

Olivia's Grammy 09-01-2011 03:01 PM

We've never had good luck freezing on the cob. It take up to much room in our already full freezers. I's like to know, just in case.

Murphy 09-01-2011 03:01 PM

I freeze mine on the cob. I do not blanch or anything. Just quickly get it bagged and flash frozen in your freezer and it will taste fresh picked and sweet when winter is here.

Ramona Byrd 09-01-2011 03:11 PM

Have you ever cut it off the cob and dried it for corn meal?

We used to do this sometimes, the taste was far better than just run of the mill bought stuff. Even in the nursing home my husband would ask me to bring him some of his special corn bread..he would eat it in a bowl with milk as a snack instead of ice cream.

nativetexan 09-01-2011 03:11 PM

i buy it frozen sometimes, so it should be all right.

jrhboxers 09-01-2011 03:31 PM

I have had better luck with cob corn if I shock it quickly - simply dip in hot water and then in ice water. Then I dry it and put it in the freezer bag that you pump the air out of. I have about 60 ears in my freezer. My kids love cob corn and I like to surprise them at Thanksgiving and Christmas with it.

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Even in the nursing home my husband would ask me to bring him some of his special corn bread..he would eat it in a bowl with milk as a snack instead of ice cream.

THAT'S the way that my mom likes to eat cornbread too. Never saw my grandma eat it that way - just my mom. If I remember correctly that was only if the cornbread was room temperature. If it was hot then we ALL ate it with the home churned butter that my grandmother used to make. OH MY!!! Now I have made myself hungry and no corn meal or real butter in the house. I guess I will have to get that tomorrow at the grocery.

katiebear1 09-01-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I freeze mine on the cob. I do not blanch or anything. Just quickly get it bagged and flash frozen in your freezer and it will taste fresh picked and sweet when winter is here.

Same here. If you are REALLY pressed for time you can freeze unshucked

SittingPretty 09-01-2011 04:59 PM

Yes, I freeze corn on the cob. I husk it, clean it, rinse it, and put it into a plastic bag and vacuum the air out. I just use those Ziplock vacuum bags and the hand vacuum they make for them. I don't even blanch the corn. Later, in the winter, I just drop them into a pot of cold water, bring it all to a boil, take it off the heat and let them sit until the rest of dinner is done (about 15 - 20 mins.) Tastes like they were just fresh picked!

ptquilts 09-01-2011 05:04 PM

the reason for blanching a vegetable before freezing is to neutralize the enzymes that cause it to decay. Even in a freezer, it will decay slowly. Blanching does not work on corn on the cob, because the blanching does not get into the center of the cob, so the enzymes in there continue to do their thing and deteriorate the flavor.

If you are not going to keep the vegetable for a LONG period of time, you can freeze without blanching.

BTW, did you know that the corn cob has nutritional value as well as the kernels? In case you ever get really desperate... lol.

Painiacs 09-01-2011 07:52 PM

Freeze mine!!