Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cranberry Salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cranberry-salad-t169432.html)

sharon1 11-22-2011 08:21 AM

Cranberry Salad

Just thought some of you might want to try this for Thanksgiving:>
Cranberry Jell-O Salad

1 (6 Oz.) Box of Cherry or Raspberry Jell-O
2 C. Hot water
2 C. mini marshmallows
Place the above ingredients in a sauce pan and stir over medium heat until marshmallows are melted.
Add:
1 Can Cranberry Sauce (Whole Berry) and keep stirring until the sauce has melted.
Add:
1 (20 Oz.) can of crushed Pineapple (undrained)
Place in dish and chill.
Add:
1 C. Chopped seedless grapes
½ C. chopped pecans (Optional)
Place in refrig. until Jello is set and ready to serve.

athomenow 11-22-2011 08:29 AM

I make it with fresh cranberries, apples, oranges, celery, nuts, marshmallows and two pkgs of jello. I add sugar to taste. I use the old time food grinder that you clamp onto a table to grind it all up. I like the fresh rather than canned but to each his own. I love to try new recipes, so thanks for sharing yours.

katcox 11-23-2011 03:14 PM

I have a similar recipe, I use 1 large box of black cherry (put any red one will do)
make according to directions in bowl.
add 1 can of crushed pineapple and 1 can of reg cranberry sauce (not jellied) and chop up 2-3 ribs of celery to add. Make for a lovely crunch. I make this all the time love it. can add walnuts if you wish.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

suern3 11-23-2011 03:43 PM

Your recipe sounds really good. I wish I had seen it sooner because I don't think I dare ask my husband to back to the store again! I have a bag of fresh cranberries and an orange. I need to do a search for a recipe using basically those two ingredients, plus some pantry basics. Not a big deal really since I am the only one who eats cranberries. I usually just open the can of jellied cranberries. Wish me luck on my recipe search.

CarolynW 11-25-2011 10:08 PM

I use a similar recipe that I got a couple years ago from an elderly lady who brought it to a church potluck. I can't get my family to eat it. They prefer an old standby called Cranberry Crunch. It's a mixture of butter, flour, brown sugar and oats, put half on bottom of casserole dish, spread on a can of cranberry sauce, top with remainder of mixture and bake until browned and crunchy. I prefer the salad so we have both. We had a wonderful meal; my husband smokes our turkey and it's good! This year our grandson brought his college room mate (from Maryland) and he really liked the smoked turkey. I told him we learned to like it while living in Louisiana.

KyKaren1949 11-25-2011 10:09 PM

Cranberry Jello Salad

I made a Cranberry Jello Salad for Thanksgiving.
1 small box of cherry jello
1 small box of raspberry jello

Dissolve both of the jellos in 1-1/2 cups boiling water, add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 teas. lemon juice and the drained juice from a #2 can of crushed pineapple. Let partially gel, then add the crushed pineapple, 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries, 1 cup diced celery, 1 cup diced pecans. Let set until firm. Cut into squares and serve on a bed of lettuce, or you can do a large mould of it.

Since this uses only 1/2 of the fresh bag of cranberries, I usually cook the remaining half with sugar and water to make fresh cranberry sauce for those who prefer that.

tammy cosper 11-25-2011 10:50 PM

How wild....I was just wishing yesterday that I had this recipe! Well I didn't get it in time for Thanksgiving...but rest assured I will make this Christmas.lol
Thanks for sharing it.
Tammy

jograma 11-27-2011 07:29 PM

My mother passed away from breast cancer 18 years ago. She had made this recipe for Thanksgiving many times. I tried to find it to make for my dad but no one had a copy. Last year I did an internet search and found it. My dad was thrilled. It is so good. Wish I would have found it sooner!