Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Delicious and Easy Recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas using Bisquick (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/delicious-easy-recipe-homemade-flour-tortillas-using-bisquick-t188583.html)

violets4me123 05-10-2012 06:41 AM

Delicious and Easy Recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas using Bisquick

Just a few days ago, I used 2 cups of Regular Bisquick, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 level Tablespoons of Crisco Shortening, and close to 1 cup of Hot Water.

First, mix dry ingredients in KitchenAid mixer ( I use standup mixer). Then add the Crisco Shortening, mixing well, then slowly add Hot Water, and mix until well mixed. Dependiing on weather, you may have to add a Tbsp. of all-purpose flour at a time, until not sticky and soft dough.
Take out of mixing bowl, and just knead a few times on board. Then place in bowl and let rest for about 15 minutes covered with a clean dish towel. Proceed to make into small equal, slightly larger than golf size balls, cover with dish towel and proceed to roll out thinly, then cook on med./hi on cast iron griddle for about 10 seconds on each side. (Til you see little bubbles on first side. Then flip for 3rd time for a few seconds more. Place on paper toweled tortilla warmer, then cover with lid. There is no need to flour rolling pin or cutting board when rolling out dough. This dough is perfect. What I do, for cast iron griddle, is to spray Pam, then wipe with paper towel, when griddle is warm. Tortillas will not stick. When finished, place another paper towel on top of last tortilla, then place lid. To keep extra moisture from tortilla.

I love this recipe, and just wanted to share this recipe. The tortillas are soft, beautiful, and delicious. (very pliable, too.) This recipe is too good to pass up.

Enjoy, Cecilia (Gave some to my neighbor and she loved them.)

violets4me123 05-10-2012 06:59 AM

With this recipe I made 16 good sized tortillas.

luvTooQuilt 05-10-2012 07:13 AM

I use flour, salt, warm water, shortening or lard ( lard is yummier) ..
Or I cheat and use the ready made tortilla flour- just add hot water..

Wow, never thought of using Bisquick.. thanks for the recipe!!

Sadly I've only made pancakes.. What else can you make with a box of Bisquick.. ??

violets4me123 05-10-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5207171)
I use flour, salt, warm water, shortening or lard ( lard is yummier) ..
Or I cheat and use the ready made tortilla flour- just add hot water..

Wow, never thought of using Bisquick.. thanks for the recipe!!

Sadly I've only made pancakes.. What else can you make with a box of Bisquick.. ??

I used to make mine like your recipe and using baking powder, and they too, came out delicious, but many years ago, I had heard you can make with Bisquick and flour. So, just to make it easier, I came up with this recipe. These are truly easy, delicious, and pliable. I learned to make flour tortillas as a young child from my mom and dad. Give it a try. Enjoy.

KatFish 05-10-2012 07:35 AM

Sadly I've only made pancakes.. What else can you make with a box of Bisquick.. ??[/QUOTE]

Beer Bread!

violets4me123 05-10-2012 07:36 AM

I used to use also White Wings for flour tortillas. They also came out very good. I bought the White Wings Flour at Wal-Mart.

Chasing Hawk 05-10-2012 09:02 AM

Has anyone found a recipe for flour tortillas that are made without the Lard or Crisco?

luvTooQuilt 05-10-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 5207409)
Has anyone found a recipe for flour tortillas that are made without the Lard or Crisco?

that would make for one crunchy hard tortilla.. Dont ask how i know! lol..

violets4me123 05-10-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5207414)
that would make for one crunchy hard tortilla.. Dont ask how i know! lol..

Try using White Wings at Wal-mart. White Wings Flour for homemade tortillas. They are on a different isle than regular baking isle. I think on mexican isle.

violets4me123 05-10-2012 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by violets4me123 (Post 5207066)
Just a few days ago, I used 2 cups of Regular Bisquick, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 level Tablespoons of Crisco Shortening, and close to 1 cup of Hot Water.

First, mix dry ingredients in KitchenAid mixer ( I use standup mixer). Then add the Crisco Shortening, mixing well, then slowly add Hot Water, and mix until well mixed. Dependiing on weather, you may have to add a Tbsp. of all-purpose flour at a time, until not sticky and soft dough.
Take out of mixing bowl, and just knead a few times on board. Then place in bowl and let rest for about 15 minutes covered with a clean dish towel. Proceed to make into small equal, slightly larger than golf size balls, cover with dish towel and proceed to roll out thinly, then cook on med./hi on cast iron griddle for about 10 seconds on each side. (Til you see little bubbles on first side. Then flip for 3rd time for a few seconds more. Place on paper toweled tortilla warmer, then cover with lid. There is no need to flour rolling pin or cutting board when rolling out dough. This dough is perfect. What I do, for cast iron griddle, is to spray Pam, then wipe with paper towel, when griddle is warm. Tortillas will not stick. When finished, place another paper towel on top of last tortilla, then place lid. To keep extra moisture from tortilla.

I love this recipe, and just wanted to share this recipe. The tortillas are soft, beautiful, and delicious. (very pliable, too.) This recipe is too good to pass up.

Enjoy, Cecilia (Gave some to my neighbor and she loved them.)

You must continue to knead on for about 2-3 minutes on kitchenaid standup mixer. Then pull out of bowl. Just knead for a few minutes by hand. Then cover. Sorry to continue with this. Just want to be sure you get it correctly.