Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Does anyone have a good white bread recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/does-anyone-have-good-white-bread-recipe-t177209.html)

jmabby 01-27-2012 06:00 PM

Does anyone have a good white bread recipe

I'm looking for a good bread recipe, white, unbleached flour. I want something that won't crumble the second day. I found one that is great the first day, but after that it gets crumble. Please help!!

RedGarnet222 01-27-2012 07:43 PM

Hi jmabby,
When I want a great recipe I go to recipegoldmine.com or to allrecipes.com They both have great recipes. I have never been disappointed those two places.

I kinda think that if you use one of the recipes with some fat and milk in it it should be moist and stay that way if you store it in a tight container.

Up North 01-27-2012 07:52 PM

I love this one it is so easy and makes the best bread I have ever had!!
Amish White Bread

1 pk dry yeast
1.2 c warm water
1/3 c sugar
2 tsp salt
2 c warm water
2 ½ TBL melted shortening or veg, oil
6 c flour

Dissolve yeast in ½ c warm water
In a large bowl combine sugar, salt, 2 c warm water and shortening. Stir in yeast mixture. Gradually add flour to form a soft dough. Mix together until smooth. (with hands)
Place in greased bowl, cover let rise 2 hours. Punch down divide in two to form two loaves. Place in greased bread pans, let rise 2 hours.
Bake at 350 got 25 to 30 minutes.

jmabby 01-27-2012 10:48 PM

Thank you ladies. I will check out the sites and also the recipe Donna gave. I have tried an Amish recipe similar to this one and also love it . The recipe I have has 2 packages yeast, 2/3 cup sugar and butter instead of shortening or veg. oil. Mine does crumble after the second day, maybe I'm expecting too much or should add gluten?? I want to try the recipe you gave to see if it is different.
jmabby

Ellageo 01-28-2012 08:19 AM

HI! I live in the PA . Dutch country..so there's lots of goodies for sale by Amish & Mennonite. I bought a loaf of bread a few years ago and...OMG !!...it was sooooo good. I read the label as I was enjoying the bread and discovered honey as an ingrediant. I made this bread & I really feel the honey is the 'secret'..try it! It's quick & easy & GOOD!!

4 cups lukewarm water......12 cups sifted flour
4 cakes of pkg. yeast.........2 tbls salt
1/2 cup honey

Combine 1 cup water with yeast & honey. Set aside until mixture starts to bubble, about 5 min. Then pour it into a large mixing bowl & add remaining water, 6 cups flour and salt. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Gradually work in remaining flour using just enough to make a medium dough. Form Dough into a ball and place in a large greased bowl, turning to grease dough on all sides. Cover with a towel and let rise uitil double, about 45 min. Punch down & turn out on to a lightly floured board. Cut dough into 3 equal parts & shape each into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pans. Cover with a towel and let rise until double about 30 min. Bake for 30 min or until done. at 400*.

ScubaK 01-29-2012 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ellageo (Post 4918950)
HI! I live in the PA . Dutch country..so there's lots of goodies for sale by Amish & Mennonite. I bought a loaf of bread a few years ago and...OMG !!...it was sooooo good. I read the label as I was enjoying the bread and discovered honey as an ingrediant. I made this bread & I really feel the honey is the 'secret'..try it! It's quick & easy & GOOD!!

4 cups lukewarm water......12 cups sifted flour
4 cakes of pkg. yeast.........2 tbls salt
1/2 cup honey

Combine 1 cup water with yeast & honey. Set aside until mixture starts to bubble, about 5 min. Then pour it into a large mixing bowl & add remaining water, 6 cups flour and salt. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Gradually work in remaining flour using just enough to make a medium dough. Form Dough into a ball and place in a large greased bowl, turning to grease dough on all sides. Cover with a towel and let rise uitil double, about 45 min. Punch down & turn out on to a lightly floured board. Cut dough into 3 equal parts & shape each into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pans. Cover with a towel and let rise until double about 30 min. Bake for 30 min or until done. at 400*.

How many loaves does this make????
K

ScubaK 01-29-2012 12:36 AM

Try Judy Laquardaria/Patchworktimes.com for a great White bread recipe...It's about the only one I use since it's great for toast and sandwiches.
K

ptquilts 01-29-2012 04:40 AM

Also I find it is better if you cut homemade bread as you need it, instead of slicing the whole loaf at once. Holds together better.

debbieoh 01-29-2012 07:22 PM

My recipe comes from the grocery store freezer dept LOL!!!!

Use to make all my bread when the kids were growing up but can't do the kneeding anymore. hands just can't handle it

dixie_fried 01-30-2012 06:01 AM

I asked for bread recipes a couple of months ago. I got several really great suggestions here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...s-t172130.html

As for flour, I have substituted unbleached/whole wheat/bread flour in just about every recipe I've ever made. The only thing I have noticed is that I have to use more bread flour to balance out whole wheat if I want it to rise properly (I tried half and half flour and found that 1/3 whole wheat to 2/3 bread flour rises much better). Otherwise, I think you can use whatever flour you like.