Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Does Anyone Use Onion Powder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/does-anyone-use-onion-powder-t202210.html)

Pat M. 10-03-2012 04:33 PM

For years I blended the onion with some of the sauce in a blender and then poured it into the chile, when the girls went off to college and started cooking for themselves they called me up. "Mom, the sauce does not taste the same." When I told them to add the onion they about died. I laughed and laughed. They finally forgave me and they put onion in all their sauces.

nativetexan 10-03-2012 07:45 PM

you might just dice up some onion, peppers, etc and put them on the table.

Lyncat 10-04-2012 05:21 AM

I also choose to use a food chopper to chop onions so fine I can even hide them from myself. I like the flavor but not the texture. As for bell pepper, I don't even want a little bit...its flavor permeates anything else. Yuck.

fayeberry 10-04-2012 06:45 AM

My husband hated onions when we married. I puree them in blender with a little water....problem solved!

oleganny 10-04-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 5559952)
i used it all the time when my kids were home. as long as they didn't see onions(or mushrooms-never did find a way to hide those) they were fine.

I make my own onion powder & mushroom powder - I dehydrate onions, mushrooms, & many other things. I just powder some of them in the blender. I think the flavor is much better, & none of the preservatives found in commercial products. Sometimes, instead of onion poder you can use onion juice - just dice an onion, then use a garlic press to extract the juice - that works really well, too.

hugs
Shirley in Indiana

Pat75 10-04-2012 07:59 AM

I use onion granules because that is what my store has and if the taste of the peppers is not the problem puree the peppers with what ever liquid you use in .the recipe.

joycet 10-04-2012 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter (Post 5559589)
I want to make a big batch of chili since it's starting to get cold. I was going to share with my niece and nephew but remembered that they won't eat chili with onions or green peppers. I figure I could cut the green peppers in chunks and they could remove them, but was wondering if onion powder would work in place of the onions.

Sometimes kids are just plain weird.

My kids claimed they didn't like onions either..let alone bell peppers. I love both. Answer: I put onions and bell peppers in my food processor and they never knew either was in there but still had a great taste. Oh and yes I do use onion powder too.

Sewfine 10-04-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter (Post 5559589)
I want to make a big batch of chili since it's starting to get cold. I was going to share with my niece and nephew but remembered that they won't eat chili with onions or green peppers. I figure I could cut the green peppers in chunks and they could remove them, but was wondering if onion powder would work in place of the onions.

Sometimes kids are just plain weird.

I agree, sometimes kids are just weird. I use onion & garlic powder. They add flavor to the food. When I use onions I chop it real fine and once cook in whatever food it dissolve you never know it's in there unless you have acid reflux to onions.

gennie1950 10-05-2012 05:11 AM

I use onion powder all the time, as far as the green pepper, sometimes I substitute a red pepper or use my green or red peppers (dried) from penzseys. I also have a friend who doesn't like carrots or celery, so I saute them, then put them in the food processor then add to recipe. She swears I really don't put those in things, but suprise I really do, you just don't eat chuncks of them. good luck

Chasing Hawk 10-05-2012 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat (Post 5561146)
I also choose to use a food chopper to chop onions so fine I can even hide them from myself. I like the flavor but not the texture. As for bell pepper, I don't even want a little bit...its flavor permeates anything else. Yuck.

Red, Yellow and Orange peppers are not as strong tasting as the green ones. I use those instead of the green ones even with stuffed peppers.