Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Dutch Salad (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/dutch-salad-t139721.html)

Janetlmt 07-23-2011 11:01 AM

Dressings:

1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
2 raw eggs
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1/2 cup of water

Mix well and blend with a mixer to incoporate the eggs. Bring to a boil and cook until thick. Cool

The salad

Lettuce
crispy bacon
finely chopped onion
and hard cooked eggs

That is the tradition Pennsylvania dutch salad. I sometimes use spinach instead of the lettuce and add some grilled chicken breasts.

sweet 07-23-2011 11:55 AM

Sounds very good! Thanks :)

QuiltE 07-23-2011 12:06 PM

Thanks! I'm going to try this one, as it looks much like the salad dressing my Mom used to make when we were kids. Sadly, none of my siblings have the recipe!

At the time I hated it ... though I have a feeling I would like it now. So I will be making it!

maryel 07-23-2011 01:33 PM

This sounds real good and I think that I will try it tomorrow as it is so hot in CT. and we need something lite and cool. Thanks for sharing it.

jacie 07-24-2011 06:31 PM

thanks for this recipe, it brings to mind many memories.....Mom was a good cook, and this was a specialty....jacie

AngieS 07-26-2011 05:47 AM

Hey Mom!!

This sounds good. :) I will have to try this one too. :) My problem is I over grill my chicken. Any tips on how to not over cook them? :(

pjustice63 07-26-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Dressings:

1 cup of sugar
2 raw eggs
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1/2 cup of water

Mix well and blend with a mixer to incoporate the eggs. Bring to a boil and cook until thick. Cool

The salad

Lettuce
crispy bacon
finely chopped onion
and hard cooked eggs

That is the tradition Pennsylvania dutch salad. I sometimes use spinach instead of the lettuce and add some grilled chicken breasts.

I made this yesterday and put over spinach w/strawberries. It was wonderful. Did the potato salad dressing, too. Great. Thanks for sharing these recipes.

Janetlmt 07-26-2011 01:12 PM

I am so glad you liked the dressings.

craftybear 07-26-2011 01:24 PM

thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Dressings:

1 cup of sugar
2 raw eggs
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1/2 cup of water

The salad

Lettuce
crispy bacon
finely chopped onion
and hard cooked eggs

Janetlmt 07-26-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
Hey Mom!!

This sounds good. :) I will have to try this one too. :) My problem is I over grill my chicken. Any tips on how to not over cook them? :(

You should use some boneless chicken breasts. Pound them thin..and grill on a super hot grill. Keep turning them..should only take about 15 minutes. Hope this helps..