From the Home Extension Dept. of Ohio State University
This makes a very large batch, but goes quickly when grandchildren are here!
Favorite Bran Muffins
3 cups whole bran cereal 1 cups boiling water 2 cups buttermilk 1 1/2 cups brown sugar 1/2 cup shortening 3 eggs 3 cups sifted flour 2 teaspoons baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt *Optional - cinnamon-sugar Mix 3 tablespoons sugar 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Microwave water in glass measure until boiling.
2. Measure cereal in large mixing bowl. Pour boiling water over cereal. Cool to lukewarm. Add buttermilk.
3. In mixer bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at t time. Beat well after each addition. Stir into cooled bran mixture.
4. Combine flour, soda and salt. Add to bran mixture. Stir just to moisten. Do NOT over-mix.
5. Store, refrigerated, in tightly covered containers or jars until needed. Batter keeps up to one month.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen muffins, depending on size.
TO MICRO-BAKE BRAN MUFFINS:
1. Spoon batter into paper-lined microwave muffin pan or glass custard cups. Use two paper liners for each muffin. Fill each half full.
2. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
3. Microwave with full power.
1 muffin 1/2 minute if refrigerated 3/4 minute
2 muffins 3/4 minute 1 1/4 minutes
4 muffins 1 1/4 minutes 1 3/4 minutes
6 muffins 1 3/4 minutes 2 1/4 minutes
This recipe may not be what you had in mind , but they are really good! Hope you try them. Patty
I am so glad you posted this recipe on here. I have been looking for this one made with the buttermilk. I use to make them 30 years ago and lost the original recipe.
I absolutely love them, the best muffins I ever had. Thank you sooooo much for sharing this one with us. I bookmarked it!
Thanks for the recipe! I too made these years ago and lost the recipe. Have you oven baked these muffins? If so, how long and at what temp?
Hi, morforles! Yes, I have baked these in the oven, but I don't remember how long. I probably baked at 350. Look in one of your cookbooks and see what a muffin recipe call for, start at 10 min. and add 1 - 2 min as needed, bu t check you cookbook. Sorry I couldn't be more help! Patty
TKS Patty! If I had thought a moment or two I would've realized that........just got excited to see the old recipe again. tee hee