Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Food Dehydrator Brands? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/food-dehydrator-brands-t200669.html)

CindyA 09-16-2012 02:25 PM

Food Dehydrator Brands?

I just dehydrated apples in the oven. They're good, but it took so long. I'm thinking of buying a dehydrator. I know it will still take a long time, but at least that is what it's made for and my oven will still be usable. Is there a brand that's best? Or one to stay away from? How much should I expect to pay? I saw one on amazon for $40, that seems too good to be true. But I don't want to spend $250 (also saw that on amazon). Thanks in advance for any advice.

dkaz 09-16-2012 07:09 PM

I have a Nesco brand that works well for me. I bought it at Wal-Mart a few years ago and it is still going strong.

MissSandra 09-16-2012 07:51 PM

I have an excalibur I love it found it on craigslist but I used one years ago for me they have always held up nicely and the trays are large Yes its an expensive one . I go to sams and buy the bags of frozen strawberries thaw using my emersion blender and I grind them up and laddle it onto the paraflex sheets and within 8 hours the leather is done.

ellenmg 09-17-2012 04:56 AM

I bought a Nesco Snackmaster from Walmart online less than 50 bucks. It has four trays and I bought the Save A Tray liners at Kitchen and Company, They are for grated things, like green peppers or squash. I love it! There are only two of us so I am not dehydrating tons but it does hold a large quantity of food. I looked at the Excalibur, a beauty, but pricey for us...I have done peaches, tomatoes, squash, peppers, basil, sweet peppers, fruit leather. All came out great!

Emily'sMom 09-17-2012 07:42 AM

I also have a smaller excalibur, I love it, I think I only spent $100 or so. It works great and I've had it for 3+ years.

farmquilter 09-17-2012 08:57 AM

I have the 9 tray Excalibur, go to their site or call and check for a refurbished one--save lots of money. Also get the sheets for making fruit leathers, I use them to dry banana puree that is so good. I keep the banana sheets in the freezer and it is a great snack, they can also be used to make banana bread.
I buy the frozen mixed veggies on sale and then dry them for soups. I make yogurt all the time, use 1 gallon milk each time and takes about 5-6 hours in the Excalibur.
Jan

brendaj8689 09-17-2012 11:59 AM

I have a Ronco brand, very basic with no fan. I have been drying tomatoes this month and borrowed by friends Nesco American Harvast. It has a fan and temperature control. Much quicker and easier to clean. Love it. I have had so many sweet peppers this year, that I have been drying them, not enough canning jars, not enough money to buy more. Very interesting taste, think I will be using them on pizza and in sauces. Very sweet for snacking. Good luck.
brenda

grandmaof3 09-18-2012 07:14 AM

I have had the nesco which was round and it was good but I just goe an excalibur and I love it. Drys so much faster with the fan in back and I can get more food on the trays. If you can get a used one I think that would be better. I dried apples and it took 5 hours. also dried peas and corn and am planning on drying carrots and potatoes next. Also a friend ddries watermelon and cantaloup , says it tastes like candy. Haven't tried that yet.

MattieMae 09-19-2012 07:01 PM

I bought a Nesco American Harvest in 1996 and it's still going strong. I bought another one at a yard sale and often have them both running. I didn't buy the Excalibur initially because I didn't think I would get a lot of use out of it, boy was I wrong. I also make beef jerky and fruit leather.