Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   French Onion Soup -- Crockpot!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/french-onion-soup-crockpot-t201903.html)

MattieMae 10-02-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5551431)
This is the easiest and most certain way to make French Onion Soup that I've found!.........

QuiltE, I tried your recipe today and the soup is delicious! As you suggested, I substituted butter for oil, and used sweet onions thinly sliced with my mandolin.

It's nice that you don't have to caramelize the onions in a separate pan, so only one pot gets dirty. I did put paper towels across the top of the pot under the cover to collect moisture while the onions were caramelizing.

I made a couple of loaves of French bread while waiting on the soup. Thank you for the recipe, the flavor of this soup is fantastic.

w7sue 10-02-2012 07:07 PM

Can I use beef broth instead of consomme?

QuiltE 10-02-2012 07:42 PM

MattieMae ... glad you enjoyed it! And oh so nice, fresh bread with the soup!

W7Sue ... sure! why not? I don;t really see the two as being different, though perhaps there is technically a difference? Guess the difference might be only the strength that you would have it as a consomme vs. broth (in other words, not too strong flavoured). If so, then water it down! for the equivalent flavouring.

Catlady 10-02-2012 08:45 PM

I've found vidalia onions make the best soup.

gramacheri 10-03-2012 07:02 AM

This sounds SO GOOD! Thanks for the recipe!

w7sue 10-03-2012 08:30 AM

Broth or Consomme? Thank you for the response - I just always have the broth on hand - figured it wouldn't make a huge difference - going to sign out of here and go get my slicer out and get some soup going for dinner tonight - I am so excited to try this ...

QuiltE 10-03-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by w7sue (Post 5559398)
Broth or Consomme? Thank you for the response - I just always have the broth on hand - figured it wouldn't make a huge difference - going to sign out of here and go get my slicer out and get some soup going for dinner tonight - I am so excited to try this ...

Be sure to let me know how you like it!

Oh ... just thought about the difference ... consomme vs. broth

Cans of soup would be concentrated, so you would normally add the equal amount of water to weaken it so you can eat/drink it. This recipe adds water to accomplish this.

Whereas the tetrapak broth packages are ready to go. If you are using it in a soup, you would use it as is, and not need to add more water. Just the veggies and whatever you want.

So, the same but different ...... clear as mud?

Hope this helps!

w7sue 10-03-2012 09:41 AM

Just got my onions, butter, pepper and sugar into the crock pot - today was one of the many times I have appreciated my slicer (it is almost 30 years old and still going). Having the slicer made it easy to slice the onions uniformly (1/4") was what I chose and it went really fast - I actually think it took more time to peel the outer skin than to slice them. Now that this is done, I am off to quilt at the local quilt shop with some friends this afternoon - can hardly wait to come back home and smell my dinner ... lol

MamaBear61 10-03-2012 09:51 AM

QuiltE this recipe sounds wonderful and is going on my to do list (kitchen version). Thanks for sharing. I think it would be a wonderful one for fall camping too.

QuiltE 10-03-2012 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61 (Post 5559533)
QuiltE this recipe sounds wonderful and is going on my to do list (kitchen version). Thanks for sharing. I think it would be a wonderful one for fall camping too.

You bet! .... so long as DH loves onions!!!! :)
How as the IPM? (I know, wet!)... and are you heading to the RAWF?