Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Fruit Salad? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/fruit-salad-t174258.html)

Pieces2 01-03-2012 05:45 AM

Fruit Salad?

I'm looking for a great fruit salad recipe. Anyone have one they would like share?
Its a new year, and I want to eat healthier so I'm adding more fruilts and veggies to my meals. :)

Rosewood9 01-03-2012 07:37 AM

My favorite fruit salad is healthy too. Use fruit of your choice, cut them up and then add one cup of lite cool whip and one 6oz container of vanilla yoplait lite yogurt. This makes a great fruit salad!

sassy granny 01-03-2012 08:35 AM

The fruit salad I make for Christmas and special ocassions is fruit only and very good.

Get a big bowl, Peel and dice a couple of red or yellow delicious apples, slice a couple of banannas, dump a 20 oz. can of drained pineapple tidbits, a can of drained fruit cocktail, a can of drained mandarin oranges. ( a couple of fresh oranges is better ), a handful of seedless grapes, a few pecans if you like nuts in your fruit.
I just dump all of this in the bowl and add about 1/2 cup of sugar. You could use artificial sweetner if you're really on a diet. I like my fruit sweetened.
This is so simple and really good.

sassy granny

butterfly48 01-03-2012 09:35 AM

sugerless fruit salad

This is one that is real good and is sugarfree:
2 cans lite fruit cocktail, drained
1 can unsweatened pineapple
2 large apples, diced
2 large oranges, diced
1 pkg. sugar free instant vanilla pudding
1 pkg. sugar free strawberry jello
Directions; Mix first 4 ingredients together, sprinkle dry pudding and dry jello over. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

GOOD

Pieces2 01-03-2012 10:11 AM

Thanks for the wonderful recipes, I'll give them a try. :0)

atomicblond 01-03-2012 12:14 PM

Fruit Salad

Here are two that I use--

Fruit Salad--with pie filling
Start with 1 can of apricot pie filling, add sliced bananas, drained canned pineapple, drained canned oranges, fresh chopped cored apples, nuts. (Really any fruit you have on hand--I used grapes, pears, peaches, etc.) I add something red like cherries for color. Always start with the apricot pie filling and add what ever fruit you have -- let your imagination and taste determine what fruit you add--however frozen blueberries and blackberries turn the salad very dark. It will still taste good--just has an off color. (you can use the sugar free pie filling with this)

Fresh Fruit Salad

Again start with fruit you have on hand--something soft (bananas) crunchy (apples or pears with the peel) color (cherries, blueberries), taste (peaches) etc. The binder is 3 tablespoons of frozen orange juice (don't add the water that is called for on the can). You don't have to add sugar.

Both of these are easy and healthy.
Enjoy.

MOCKER 01-04-2012 03:56 AM

I love fruit salad..............however as a staple i keep peeled and cut up fresh oranges,fresh peeled and cut up pineapple,fresh melon peeled and cut up in seperate containers in the fridge. If you want bananas its easy to peel and cut as you want ,same with an apple. This sway the bananas don't get mushy and brown and you can enjoy the taste of each fruit.......its very good for dieting.enjoy and god bless

Tulip 01-04-2012 06:59 AM

Fresh Fruits (or choose frozen mixed fruit)
Vanilla yogurt
Granola (cereal)
Scoop out size of fruit serving, top with yogurt and granola.
This is great when fruits are in season. However in the winter, frozen fruit mixes will work just fine. Economical and no waste, just fix a serving at a time.

Panchita 01-04-2012 09:46 AM

Adapted from an old Clement Freud recipe

Drain a 16oz tin of pineapple chunks into a bowl (retain juice) with some halved glace cherries (I use about 12). Add 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier liqueur. Leave a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.

Add half a small melon, 2 crunchy apples (cored but not peeled), a small tin of mandarin oranges (drained - add juice to retained pineapple juice), all cut into chunks. Add chunks of banana if wished. Mix.

For the 'sauce' bring 1 small wineglass of water, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 oz sugar to the boil, and simmer 3 minutes. Let cool, and then pour over your fruit.

I tend to find that there is not enough liquid for my liking, so I also add the pineapple and mandarin juice retained above.

Or if you wanted to be healthier you could skip the 'sauce' and use the juice on its own.

carolynjo 01-04-2012 12:51 PM

Yum to all of them!