Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Granola (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/granola-t133638.html)

OraLee 06-27-2011 04:39 PM

I am looking for a recipe for Granola that could be sprinkled on top of cereal or yogart. Does any one have one?

alikat110 06-27-2011 07:04 PM

I just buy my favorite bars, and crunch it up, sprinkle where desired

psquared52 06-28-2011 03:38 AM

Here is the recipe I use for granola. Easy to make and very delicious (not too sweet).

Granola

2c whole wheat flour
6c rolled oats
1c coconut
1c wheat germ
(Combine above in lg mixing bowl)

blend together separately:
1/2c water
1c oil
1c honey or corn syrup (definitely prefer honey)
2tsp vanilla
1Tbsp salt (I usually use 1 tsp or less...who needs more salt?s)
Nuts/dried fruit to taste. (I add after baking because I think it dries them out too much if added).

Add blended liquids to dry ingredients and mix together well.

Spread out on 2 cookie sheets and bake 1 hour at 250 or until dry and golden. When you check it for doneness, remember it will crispen as it cools. I add nuts/dried fruits after it has baked). Store in covered containers.

It makes a lot so I usually make only half the recipe. Also if you stir it while baking, it won't form clumps as well. Your choice! If you don't use coconut, you can add an extra handful or two of oats. I also add cinnamon to the liquids. I add nuts (slivered almonds, walnuts, pecans, whatever) and dried fruits (craisins, dried blueberries (available at Costco) after taking it out of the oven. You can also add milk/water and cook in microwave if you like oatmeal.I carry small baggies of the dry granola when I travel for a quick snack. Very delicious over greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey and fresh fruit. Heavenly!!

daisydebby 06-28-2011 06:10 AM

The Barefoot Contessa has a great granola recipe on her website.

MamaYitu 06-28-2011 03:16 PM

Here is mine that I have used for years--and I eat most every morning now.

MamaYitu 06-28-2011 03:24 PM

Here is the recipe that I have used for years--and actually I eat most every morning.
8 cups of oatmeal (I like the quick oats)
1 1/2 cup sugar -------mix together.
In pyrex pitcher, melt 1 cup butter.
Add 2 tsp. vanilla and 2 tsp salt. Mix together and pour over the oatmeal mixture. Mix it well so the oats looks damp.
Put in 2 9x13 pans in into a 330 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. (I set the timer) Let cool in the pans and break up any lumps before storing. You may add cranberries, raising, nuts, etc. when you go to eat it.

hikingquilter 06-28-2011 04:55 PM

I have been making this recipe for many years and eat it nearly every morning with fresh fruit and yogurt:

4-5 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ or bran (or mix)
1 cup milled flax seed
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds (or pecans, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, etc)
Mix all of this together in baking pan. Then in a sauce pan heat together:
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
Drizzle over the oats mixture and blend until well coated. Bake at 325 degrees, stirring often until lightly browned. Let it cool in the pan without stirring, then break it up and store in an airtight container. I don't bake raisins or dried fruit in with it because they get too hard. You can add them when eating it, though I prefer fresh fruit. I eat this granola on ice cream, pudding and fruit salad, too.

OraLee 06-29-2011 11:44 AM

Thank you all for the recipes for Granola. I will try them all because they all sound so good.

thimblebug6000 06-29-2011 05:01 PM

I make my granola & eat it with milk on it.... can't quite picture how I would add this onto a cereal??
Thanks to all for sharing your recipe, might adjust mine a tad or so.

OraLee 06-30-2011 04:28 AM

how different is your granola from the recipes here is yours? Whould you share yours also?