Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Guild Potluck Cake part II (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/guild-potluck-cake-part-ii-t191998.html)

tatavw01 06-17-2012 06:16 AM

Guild Potluck Cake part II

Okay so I am always trying to cut the fat in bake good so a wonderful woman on this site posted an Apricot Nectar Cake. It was just wonderful. I made one change, it was one of the moistest cakes I have ever made

Change
2/3 cup oil (veg or any mild tasting oil)
For
3/4 pear puree
one can of pears, puree all of it measure out 3/4 of a cup and save the rest for next time. You won't miss the fat, and it does not change the favor of the cake that's why I used pears. Give it a try and let me know. You can do this with any cake recipe
Enjoy:thumbup:

kay carlson 06-17-2012 06:28 AM

Do you drain the syrup or juice from the can? DH is diabetic so he usually selects something artifically sweetened or in light syrup or juice. This technique sounds like a pot of gold discovery! thx

tatavw01 06-17-2012 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson (Post 5295348)
Do you drain the syrup or juice from the can? DH is diabetic so he usually selects something artifically sweetened or in light syrup or juice. This technique sounds like a pot of gold discovery! thx

great question
the pears are in pear juice concentrate and I drank the juice didn't use it to make the puree. I am sure you can use any type of pear maybe even fresh ones...

jeaninmaine 06-18-2012 07:23 AM

You can also use applesauce instead of oil. I used to use the Mott's natural or unsweetened kind a lot.

KyKaren1949 06-18-2012 09:15 AM

I believe that was my recipe for Apricot Nectar Cake-our favorite dessert. I'm interested in the change you've made. Did the cake rise like it was supposed to? I've tried using applesauce as a substitute, but my loaves of bread didn't raise and ended up with a strange consistency-threw it all out.

tatavw01 06-18-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 (Post 5298256)
I believe that was my recipe for Apricot Nectar Cake-our favorite dessert. I'm interested in the change you've made. Did the cake rise like it was supposed to? I've tried using applesauce as a substitute, but my loaves of bread didn't raise and ended up with a strange consistency-threw it all out.

Yes, the cake did rise it was wonderful the best quick cake I have ever made...try it

KyKaren1949 06-19-2012 03:47 PM

I sure will! We're all dieting here, but if I can cut the calories, I might be able to justify making one. he he he

barny 06-19-2012 03:52 PM

Kay Carlson, Pillsbury makes diabetic cake mixes now. They are very good. I make them for a friend of ours when we play dominoes. Barny

ziegamomma 06-20-2012 04:34 AM

Will you please post the whole recipe again, regular and reduced fat? I would like to have it all in one spot so I won't get lost again while I search for it. I get lost when I do a search because I get distracted by all the other interesting stuff out there. TIA