Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Home made Lemon Curd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/home-made-lemon-curd-t120801.html)

winter012 06-27-2011 05:58 AM

Collards are nothing like spinach!!!!! They are more bitter, & must be cooked a MUCH longer time to get them tender as they are tough to start with. A rutabaga is simply a yellow turnip. My mom cooked them & served them mashed, like mashed potatoes. I, personally, can't stand them (or turnips, or collards, or mustard greens either!!!!) Guess I'd made a lousy vegetarian........

jpthequilter 06-27-2011 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muv

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I am an an american who lived overseas.. Hurray for BISTO, which is a can of dried gravy powder! You just add water to it to get gravy or broth base. They don't have it here.
I use lofat sour cream for cream fraiche. Nothing is the same as Devon cream, though.
A Rutabaga is a sweet "turnip like" veggie, peel it, cut it up into cubes and boil it until it is tender. Serve it with butter, because it is much better tasting than a turnip.

Please, do you have a good recipie for peach chutny?
We americans do sometimes make good chutneys.

Oh my goodness, an American who knows what Bisto is! Ahhhh.... Bisto! A catchphrase in Blighty (did you ever see the old adverts?), and as for Devon cream, I hope you treat yourself to the occasional cream tea.

As for chutney, you need help from England, where else? I have consulted my trusty book, Modern Cookery Illustrated, published before the war, so therefore pre-rationing, and checked the recipe for green tomato chutney which I have adapted time and time again to make chutneys of all sorts. Here is the magic formula:-

1lb sugar - ordinary white granulated is fine

1 pint vinegar - white gives a better colour, but no problem with brown

1lb onions

4lbs any fruit and/or vegetables you want

8oz any dried fruit you want

Garlic - as much or as little as you want -try about 4 cloves

Spices - anything you want - such as chopped cystallised ginger, chillies (fresh, dried or powder), cloves, coriander seeds, cardomom pods. Make sure dried spices are crushed first.

Salt

Use a wooden spoon when cooking, and a stainless steel or enamelled pan.

Chop up all the fruit and vegetables and dried fruit as coarsely or as finely as you like. Put everything in a large pan and cook gently until the sugar is dissolved. Then bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture has evaporated to give a thick consistency. Stir frequently to prevent the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan. When it has cooked long enough, so that when you pass the wooden spoon across the bottom of the pan it leaves a trail that doesn't immediately fill back up with liquid, the chutney is ready to pot.

Don't try the chutney for at least three months. It improves with keeping.

To do a peach chutney, I would suggest using 4lbs peaches and dried apricots for your dried fruit. If you want a nice yellow colour add a couple of teaspoons of turmeric.

Good luck! Let me know how it turns out!

Dear Muv, Thanks loads! I like this recipe, and will use it! but it is the spices to go with the fresh peaches, that I am after...please can you give me aditional advice? ( I am not so sure videlia onions are the best flavor to combine with peaches? but perhaps they are just right?) I am thinking something unusual or unexpected like thyme?
Jeannie
Maybe crystallized ginger?

Catherine Marie 06-30-2011 06:36 AM

If I may, here is a old family recipe for lemon curd which has the non-metric measurements.
Mix in top of double boiler:
2 C white sugar
6 egg yolks
4 egg whites
Juice of 4 large lemons
Grated rind of 3 lemons
3 oz. of butter or margarine ( roughly 3 T)
Stir the mixture until it becomes thick like honey. Place in a large jar or container and place in the fridge.

TacoMama 06-30-2011 11:19 AM

Catherine Marie, that recipe sounds good. How much does it make?

Catherine Marie 06-30-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TacoMama
Catherine Marie, that recipe sounds good. How much does it make?

Makes about 3- 250ml jars

craftybear 06-30-2011 12:46 PM

thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
If I may, here is a old family recipe for lemon curd which has the non-metric measurements.
Mix in top of double boiler:
2 C white sugar
6 egg yolks
4 egg whites
Juice of 4 large lemons
Grated rind of 3 lemons
3 oz. of butter or margarine ( roughly 3 T)
Stir the mixture until it becomes thick like honey. Place in a large jar or container and place in the fridge.

TacoMama 06-30-2011 01:12 PM

Thanks! I love lemon curd.