Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Home Tour Buffet: Ideas needed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/home-tour-buffet-ideas-needed-t12996.html)

AnnaDuv2 11-07-2008 11:16 AM

Our community library is having a holiday home tour. Afterwards, we're having a buffet for all the homeowners and helpers. Might do it at my house. . . maybe.

Anyways, what would you serve? Soup and Salad? the proverbial frozen lasagna? I'll ask others to bring the food but I need a direction to go... this will be a fancy paper plate deal for about 20.

So many choices, so little time.

mary quite contrary 11-07-2008 11:47 AM

Sit down or stand up and mingle type thing?

AnnaDuv2 11-08-2008 12:39 PM

Sort of a combination of both. I have seating for 16 at tables, people usually rotate in and out of the chairs to the family room couches. I'd like to have more than finger food, but sort of a step or two above that. Won't be a full-fledged sit down meal.

mary quite contrary 11-08-2008 12:49 PM

If people are walking around definitely not soup.

Chicken salad on croissants and various salads. Then dessert? Either cheesecakes or lots of different mini desserts.

I love doing things like this. Last night we had a little group here.

Jim's Gem 11-08-2008 12:55 PM

I don't know if this will help, but every month we have what we call "Soup & Salad". This is a time for new people visiting the church to come to a home of a member and have lunch and get to know other people. We have 2 teams that do this, so usually we offer it 2x per month (once per team) Depending on the weather we serve a variety of foods. It just so happens that it is at my house tomorrow. I am expecting about 50 people. We tend to draw a few more than others because my DH is one of the Pastors and we live across the street from the Church. We set up tables and shade tents in the back yard, so people get to sit down. Tomorrow we are serving. Vegetable Beef Soup, Split Pea Soup, Potato Cheese soup, home made hot from the over French Bread, Caesar Salad, Ambrosia (fruit) Salad, Potato Salad, Another green salad, and 4 different desserts. I figured since it is November we would have Soups but right now it is nearly 90 outside!!!! I am making the Veg Beef soup, Breads, Drinks and probably a green or Caesar salad. Will probably throw in some chips and salsa. I am going to pick a bunch of Lemons off my tree and have fresh squeezed Lemonaid. If it is this hot, I will not make coffee, just Ice Tea and Water.
My day today is Clean, clean, clean. We don't have a large house so it is good that there is no rain forcast or we would have to cancel, I can only handle about 20 inside the house.
Hope this is at least a little helpful. I do have about 7 or 8 other people bringing food!!!

Moonpi 11-08-2008 01:20 PM

What about Toothpick food, like meatballs and pinwheels made of cheese/meat/peppers rolled in tortilla wraps and cut sideways, chicken nuggets dressed up in sauces, arranged in tree shapes or piled artistly on platters.

Salads from any pasta, potato salad, devilled eggs...

sewaholic 11-08-2008 01:32 PM

Soup can be served in mugs, it dosen't have to be in a bowl. Less spillage too.

Jim's Gem 11-08-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewaholic
Soup can be served in mugs, it dosen't have to be in a bowl. Less spillage too.

We sometimes serve soup in coffee cups, that way they can walk around with them and also if there are several kinds they can try some of each, instead of a big bowl.

AnnaDuv2 11-08-2008 05:23 PM

DUH!!!! Man, talk about brain freeze! Last spring we did a fund-raiser dinner and had a soup "martini" bar-- so that's what I'll do for this group! A butternut squash, beer-cheese, and tomato. I'll put out a bunch of stuff w/ which to garnish the soups--chopped scallions, cheese, bacon, yada yada. And I think I'll go with the pinwheel wraps--the toothpick thing is a good idea.

Thanks to all--if we do it at my house (only about a 17.45% chance of that) I'll post pics for y'all.

Anybody wanna come help!!????? I mean to clean the house!!

sewmuch 11-09-2008 11:29 AM

Always a hit at our functions, chili and baked beans, they love em both.