Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Homemade yogurt.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/homemade-yogurt-t221018.html)

ljptexas 05-08-2013 06:59 AM

Homemade yogurt....

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Homemade Yogurt (from my DD in China)

- Mix 2 c. lukewarm water with 2 c. milk powder (whole makes it too thin).
- Add 3 tbsp. yogurt starter (use either from what you have on-hand now or buy the thickest you can find.
- Add 2 c. extremely hot water (I boil mine).
- Mix well & store overnight in airtight container, cover with towel in a controlled environment (like inside oven, microwave or toaster oven).
- In the morning, you should have thick unsweetened yogurt that needs refrigeration before eating.
- You can add sweetener (like honey, vanilla, sugar) at any time. We like to add honey for each individual serving.
- You can double or triple receipe.
She has 5 kiddos, so she makes from scratch & in bulk...[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/SIZE3]

Pollytink 05-08-2013 08:30 PM

I guess I should try this! I got a yogurt maker for Christmas and have tried it once with no success. There are several different recipes with it and I just haven't felt good enough to try it again!

Geri B 05-09-2013 06:31 AM

my eating of yogurt is sporadic, so I purchase ready made. I really like yoplait...more like a mousse texture.....don't really like the lumpyness of other brands. Strange though, as I do like cottage cheese and talk about lumps!!!!!!!!

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 05-09-2013 06:57 AM

I make my own sometimes. You really need to use the milk powder. It thickens it up. I love yogurt with pineapple in it.

PATTIESPEARL 05-09-2013 10:49 AM

so now for the dumb question! what is yogurt starter

jarenie 05-09-2013 12:26 PM

I second the question What is Yogurt Starter?

Janis 05-10-2013 05:43 PM

I 'third' the question and ask one more..... What is Yogert Starter? And where do you buy it??

MarleneC 05-11-2013 01:52 PM

yogurt

yogurt starter can be purchased each time from health food stores or using yogurt that can be purchased from the health food areas in grocery stores;)--I believe there is a brand called Lucy's--not sure if that is the name--that is found in refrigerator section in health food area of the grocery stores--also, after making yogurt save some each time to use in making additional batches

Albion 05-13-2013 10:07 AM

The Recent medical research emphasize the causes of depressive disorders, The broad range of treatments causes like Treatment can mean hanging out speaking with sufferers about their emotional and physical....

PennyG 05-26-2013 07:26 PM

Thank you for the recipe! I will be making some as my husband has one yogurt every single night before he goes to bed. He says it helps his system and he sleeps better. He only likes Yoplait Blueberry and I buy 2 cases (12 in each case) each month...runs .79 times 24 (just under $19). I have friends that have yogurt machines, but I did not want to invest and find out he does not like it being homemade. I will try your recipe! Thanks again,
PennyG