Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Hot Weather Food Favourites ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/hot-weather-food-favourites-t195695.html)

Bonnie 07-26-2012 12:27 PM

A tuna and macaroni salad always hits the spot when it is hot. Add some olives, celery, onion, frozen peas, diced sweet pickle, green or red pepper, a couple of hard boiled eggs, sprinkle with a little dill weed, salt and pepper and dress with Miracle whip light and a little yellow mustard. Store in fridge and serve with fresh fruit.

May in Jersey 07-26-2012 12:48 PM

OH, That apple omelette sounds delicious. Gotta try it soon. Golden delicious apples could sub for the Grannys as they don't get mushy when cooked.

crtwelvecats 07-26-2012 02:13 PM

I use my crock pot to make my roast enough for at least couple of different meals. This week it will be beef strogennoff and burritos. Also for a real fast meal I get the cleaned and cooked shrimp. Just run cold water over them in a colander till thawed and they are ready to eat. we usually have them with a spring mix salad and i make my own cocktail sauce. all it is is catsup with some horse radish stirred in to taste. My DH like it mild and I add alttle more to my little bowl of it.Next week will be chicken week. chicken tacos and a salad, chicken and cabbage salad. That is slice up cabbage add cooked chicken . take a ramen package noodle seasoning pack and add to a oil and vinager to make the dressing( like if you are making italian dressing but with the packette for seasonong) mix well add peants and mix well then crumble uncooked ramen nodles up and add and mix well. add noodles last so they are crisp.

QuiltE 07-26-2012 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pat75 (Post 5395777)
I made kaizer rolls and use them with crock pot barbecue and grilled chicken and breakfast for supper simple to fantastic sandwiches and with almost every meal cold melon.Since I made the rolls I find the family thinking of other ways to use them.I make them part whole wheat or white flour. I forgot they make great hamburger buns.

Pulled Pork Sandwiches too!

QuiltE 07-26-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey (Post 5396635)
OH, That apple omelette sounds delicious. Gotta try it soon. Golden delicious apples could sub for the Grannys as they don't get mushy when cooked.

Don't put it off ... I'll look forward to your telling me what you think when you try it!!!!

And too ... I had some leftover blueberries and tossed them in one day ... delicious again!

QuiltE 07-26-2012 02:38 PM

Here's another one that I thought about today ... and hope to make up this weekend.

Barley Salad

1 cup barley
3 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 cup peeled, diced cucumber
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
½ cup diced red onion
4 - 6 oz. feta

Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a saucepan and remove from heat.

Stir in barley and return to heat.
Return to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering for 30-40 minutes.
Barley will be done when it is tender, but still chewy.
Drain remaining liquid and return the barley to the pan.
Cover and allow the barley to steam, off the burner, for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

When the barley has steamed, dress it with the olive oil mixture.
(Dressing the grain while it is hot will allow it to absorb more of the vinaigrette.)

Refrigerate overnight, or until completely cool.

Add grape tomatoes, cucumber, basil, feta, and red onion and toss.
Adjust seasonings to your tastes.
ENJOY!!

Very good next day or two as well!

DJ 07-26-2012 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas! I will definitely try some.

My contributions: Gazpacho (Barefoot Contessa: http://www.barefootcontessa.com/reci...cipeID=656&S=0 - I make half this recipe which makes a lot!); Black bean salad; Fajitas; BBQ extra chicken breasts to serve another day on Caesar salad.

Thankfully the Pacific NW isn't having the heatwave most of the rest of the country is having.

lynn7448 07-26-2012 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5394763)
Thanks for the ideas Ladies .... and I look forward to some more!

I too enjoy BLTs ... and can't wait each year for locally grown tomatoes!
II especially like BLT Salads .... lots of salad greens, topped with chopped tomatoes, topped with freshly cooked chopped bacon, then topped with grated cheddar (it melts a little with the hot bacon). Your choice of dressings ... my favourites are ranch or italian or balsamic.

Another salad possibility ... Marinated Veggies ... chop or chunk all the veggies you want into a clear glass bowl. Add italian dressing, stir and let sit a few hours to marinate. If you'd like some protein, add some drained chick peas to the mix and/or at serving, top with some feta.

I too favour the crockpot during the heat. I don't hafve a BBQ, so my Hamilton Beach grill somewhat covers for that.

A favourite is Faux Deli Chicken, which mocks the deli roasted ones. Great as a meal then, and leftovers for meals after. Add a bag of the Uncle Ben's rice, and a steamer bag of veggies and it's a no work, no fuss meal.

Another favourite ... Salsa Chicken ... chicken breasts in the crock pot, with salsa dabbed on top of each piece. At the end, top with shredded parmesan and put lid back on to let melt before serving.

Or Greek Chicken ... same as salsa chicken, but using Antipasto. At end top with feta.

Dessert?? ... I'mn fine with ice cream year round!
Though if I'm looking to make something ... here's my favourite summer treat!
Key Lime Pie
1 box (.3 oz) sugar free lime jello
</SPAN></SPAN>
¼ cup boiling water
</SPAN></SPAN>
16 oz. key lime pie light yogurt (or other flavours, to match in season fresh fruit)
</SPAN></SPAN>
8 oz. cool whip, thawed
</SPAN></SPAN>
Optional: 1 prepared 9” graham cracker pie crust or loose graham cracker crumbs, or crushed chocolate wafers
</SPAN></SPAN>
Dissolve jello in boiling water. With wire whisk, stir in yogurt . With wooden spoon, fold in whipped topping. Transfer mixture to prepared crust or into individual dessert cups. If no pie crust, it's nice to sprinkle with a few crumbs, but not necessary. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 2 hours. This recipe freezes well!
</SPAN></SPAN>

And my biggest secret for hot weather cooking ... actually for all year round ... Planned Overs!!
I don't have leftovers, rather I cook doubles, triples or whatever, with their destiny planned for future meals or into the freezer.
Single portions for my own frozen dinners are stashed in the freezer, and slide right into the microwave without any fuss ... or heat added to the kitchen!

How do you fix your Faux Deli Chicken crockpot recipe?

QuiltE 07-26-2012 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by lynn7448 (Post 5396935)
How do you fix your Faux Deli Chicken crockpot recipe?

It's simple ... and oh so good! Here's how I do it ........

Faux Deli Chicken
First thing is to buy small roaster chicken that will fit into your crock!
Set a plate on top of custard cups or use a bowl upside down into your crock.
This allows your chicken to set on top and now swim in its drippings.
This can be a challenge, but once you know what fits, it's solved for future times.
Optional as to yoru tastes: put an onion or two, herbs or seasonings in cavity. (eg. salt, pepper, basil, sage, etc.)
Likewise for the top of the bird. (eg. top with BBQ sauce, sprinkle with herbs, BBQ seasoning, etc.)
Cook. Best to check your crock directions re length of time, and of course, dependent on size of bird.
Mine usually takes about 3 hours.

Results ... nice and juicy chicken meat, much like Quick Chicks you pick up at the deli counter.

Instead of the upside down bowl, some use tinfoil balls, or potatoes.
I don't find that as stable as the plate or bowl.
Also, some use potatoes. I don't like them after sitting in the grease, so see it as a waste.

QuiltE 07-26-2012 03:54 PM

Today I had a friend at lunch ... our menu ...

Roast Beef ... Placed mini roast in crock sitting on an upside down plate. Topped with BBQ sauce and fresh ground pepper. About an hour before we ate, I added a bunch of tiny new potatoes. When ready to eat, frozen peas in the microwave. And now I have some leftovers for another meal or two.

Crock Pot Hint ... while most of the time I only cook for myself, I have 4 crocks, all different sizes. Each for different purposes! And I haven't bought any of them new. All purchased as almost new (and perhaps never used!) at a local Thrift Store where they have checked them and guarantee they work. And all for minimal cost!