Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How do I make real iced tea? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-i-make-real-iced-tea-t220847.html)

tessagin 05-07-2013 08:17 AM

I have seen Paula Deen make iced tea. She states make your tea like you usually do a bag for each cup or you can make sun tea (still a bag for each cup) If you want it sweetened (since sugar doesn't dissolve in cold water) make a simple syrup. Equal parts sugar and water. Bring it to a boil but do keep an eye on it. Let it cool and store in the refrigerator for future use. I don't like sweet tea but if I know I'm having company, I have the simple syrup on hand. I also have raspberry and lemons and mint julep for those who want something different. Sorry, I don't have any diet sweeteners on my shelves. I have used a little Bailey's in my tea on the rock's. Yummmm!

tessagin 05-07-2013 08:23 AM

nnwalton2 makes a point I forgot to mention. I buy the bottled water when I'm making for tea. We have a filter but that would take forever. Didn't know about Sam's having the gallon bags. Will have to check it out.

matraina 05-07-2013 09:49 AM

I do what my mom always did: For a 2-qt. pitcher of iced tea, I boil about 3 c of water on top of the stove, add 8 teabags, plus a couple extra for the pitcher. Let it sit until cool. Remove the teabags, add about 3/4-1c sugar and stir. Pour in pitcher; add water to fill and stick in frig.

KyKaren1949 05-07-2013 11:10 AM

I put 6 regular tea bags or 3 family size tea bags in a tea pot. Bring the tea kettle to boil, then fill the tea pot and let it steep for about 15 minutes or more. Pour the tea into a 2 qt. pitcher and fill to the 2 qt. line with cold water. If you want it sweetened, add about 1/2 cup sugar while it's hot, stir and then add the cold water. You can add more or less sugar to your desired taste. I use Lipton tea because it brews a stronger tea than other brands. We drink ours unsweetened.

Delta 05-07-2013 11:32 AM

i take a family tea bag or 2 small ones put in a microwave safe (i use pyrex) measuring cup cook for 2 minutes with the tea bag in it.put in your container and let it sit for a bit add water. thats all i do. man that sounds good about right now too

maga 05-07-2013 12:42 PM

I love sun tea! I use a gallon glass container with a screw on lid. I like to use the family size tea bags, using about 5 - 6 depending on the weather. Also I use bottled water, not as bitter. I don't like sweetened back back east where they ask you if you want sweetened tea or not. They make a simple syrup which is about 1 cup sugar to 2 cups water; bring to a boil, let cool. Hope this helps.

Trish88 05-07-2013 02:58 PM

Ice tea is always in my house......I boil 2 qts of water and add 1/2 cup of sugar (real sugar)stirring until it boils and when it comes to a boil turn off and I then add my tea bags (12) I use decaffinated tea I then wait till it cools and transfer to my large pitcher which is 4 qts...remove tea bags and add... more water to the pitcher usually about another qt then add my lemon juice...you need to taste as you go along to see if you want or need more sugar,water or lemon...once you get this recipe down you will never use another one.....I re-searched ice tea recipes for a year and when I came across this one which was in my moms recipe box I had that I forgot ....I was like omg right in front of me lol....anyways hope everyone tries it you will love it.......Trish

solstice3 05-07-2013 04:10 PM

I throw 6 bags in a 2qt sauce pan. Fill it with water and bring to a boil.let it simmer 5 minutes. Turn it off and let it cool. If you want sweet tea, dissolve sugar then let it cool. Pour in gallon pitcher and fill with water.

nance-ell 05-07-2013 04:34 PM

Wow! I only steep my tea for 3-5 minutes and never more than 10 minutes.... 3 family size Lipton Tea bags to make a gallon of tea. Bring water to a boil, take the pot off the burner and add the tea bags. Add sugar... I only use about 1/2 cup sugar, but that's a personal preference. For really sweet tea, add more sugar. Be sure to put the sugar in while the water is hot so it will melt well. Then add cold water to fill your container. Tweek to your own taste.

tesspug 05-07-2013 04:58 PM

The secret to true Southern sweet tea is making sure the sugar is completely dissolved in the hot tea just after brewing. You can get more sugar into the water when its hot. If you add the sugar when its cool it won't dissolve.