Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How Do You Bread Your Okra ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-do-you-bread-your-okra-t139325.html)

Dortha 07-22-2011 05:28 AM

Try putting a little corn starch in your breading ingredients,it works better than anything else that I have tried.

Ramona Byrd 07-22-2011 05:35 AM

You need some flour to hold the corn meal together, seasonings, and some young okra. I grew up with this, picking it meant if it was longer than my fingers I had to stick my thumb nail in it near the bottom. If it didn't dent easily, it was too big and went to the pigs.

Fried in bacon grease or sausage grease, mounded in a plate with slices of fresh, red tomatoes around it and a dusting of salt and pepper...a glass of cold buttermilk and that was dinner in the middle of the day. Maybe a left over piece of pie, if such a thing existed.
Supper we could have the same if we wanted (which meant if we had an over abundance of it coming ripe at that time).

rexie 07-22-2011 07:14 AM

I bread mine with corn meal, salt and pepper and a touch of cayenne.

noahscats7 07-22-2011 08:04 AM

If you like the breading like restaurant okra, flour the sliced okra then put in buttermilk and then bread with cornmeal. I love it this way and also bread my chicken this way but use flour for the final coating. I have also frozen okra with this type of coating.Usually I just freeze it whole straight from the garden. When you use it just remove from freezer, rinse off and slice while still frozen. Glenda

mariebaker 07-22-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid
Gramma, google Paula Deen's recipe..she uses buttermilk. I preboil my pods, cool in water and while they're "slimy" I coat in seasoned cornmeal and fry--whole is to die for. But I love the skillet fried also, with breaded green tomato pieces added...about 70/30 ratio.

yummy!! I am buying some okra asap and trying this :D

desertrose 07-22-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I just coat mine in cornmeal and fry. I like mine crispy but you can take it out at the stage you like it. Some people roll it in flour and smother fry it. Either way is ok. I don't care for boiled okra. Too slimy!!

I love fried okra but a lot of work for just one. being from New England I'd never tasted it until I moved to the SW boy were we missing another great veggie just because no one knew what to do with them. Maybe one of these days I'll make the mess for just me.

Honeynga 07-22-2011 09:45 AM

Being born and raised in the south......my gm would beat an egg, add a small amount of water; soak the okra in the egg wash then coat with corn meal and a little flour. She would fry in bacon grease but I fry in canola oil, in HER old old old black iron skillet ! Fry crisp, season with salt and pepper and eat like popcorn !. I've also fried whole using the same method and it is delicious ! The buttermilk method sounds good also....think I'll go out to the garden and see if I have any okra that is ready......

Rock Lady 07-22-2011 09:49 AM

I beat an egg and thin it down with a little milk. Then I Put the okra in until it is well covered with the egg wash. Then I roll the okra in cornmeal and fry it. Very good. We all love it.

Quiltaddict 07-22-2011 11:46 AM

This is how my Mom used to make it about 30 years ago.

Slice your fresh okra into large bowl. In another small bowl mix one beaten egg with about a half cup milk. Beat until well blended and then pour over okra in bowl. Mix well.

In separate bowl mix cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper to taste. Pour over okra, mix well, and fry in hot skillet.

I have to admit that as much as I love it made this way, now I usually buy the frozen prebreaded in a bag from WalMart. It is good and so quick and easy.

wildyard 07-22-2011 12:12 PM

Well, this is my mother and grandmother's way, and we try not to dirty up too many dishes. LOL So slice the okra into a bowl. Break an egg over it and stir till the okra is well coated. Add equal amts flour and cornmeal, salt and pepper to taste and stir till well mixed and the okra is evenly coated. Dump into your skillet of hot oil or bacon grease and fry till crispy.
This is the same way I do summer squash and it's really good. Both benefit from adding some sliced or chopped onion in at the beginning!