Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   How to made dog food! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/how-made-dog-food-t203554.html)

johin 10-18-2012 07:21 AM

How to made dog food!

Every one know. that how to make Chinas food, Continantale food and various kind of food,
but its my question to all , If any know how to make dog food and cat food. why we bought food from markete for our pets. if we make in our own hand fresh in best quality .I think its better than other.
so its my question have there are any animal food sheff?

sparkys_mom 10-18-2012 08:22 AM

I do not make my own pet food for a variety of reasons. First is time. Second is that I want my dog to get the nutrients he requires and it is more than just throwing a handful of hamburger and rice into his bowl. I have purchased from www.FlintRiver.Com for many years. Their prices are good, their quality is good, and they have NEVER had a recall. They sell dog and cat food and you can purchase small samples if you want to see how your pet likes the food. My dog loves it.

Something else I really like is they deliver to my door. I never have to worry about running to the store or lugging in a 20 pound bag of kibble. Delivery is fast and is included in the price of the food. I am not associated with this company in any way other than being a loyal customer.

misspriss 10-18-2012 10:50 AM

I make my dogs food. There are many good recipies on the net. Be sure you give them a good vitamin if you are going to do this. I have a chichuahua, so it isnt too hard to feed her. I started doing this when she was a small puppy because of the grains and corn in the boughten food, She is 4 now and was at the vet just yeserday and is doing good. I do not feed raw. She rally likes boiled chicken, green beans, carrots and beets. She only eats 1/4 cup a day. She is soooo spoiled..

susiequilt 10-18-2012 11:36 AM

I use taste of the wild. No grain and no fillers.

vjengels 10-18-2012 11:59 AM

I wanted to make food for my 2 dogs, until I spoke with my Vet, his advice was the same as ' Sparkys Mom', you have to suppliment their diet with the correct mixture of nutrients & vitamims, so, I make the trainning treats for my dogs, mostly because I wanted something they wouldn't 'stick their noses up' at. It's easy really- pure`d raw liver, corn meal , flour raw garlic, eggs bake , cut up & refrigerate, you can't make them fast enough.

Caswews 10-19-2012 06:16 AM

Brie loves Halo brand dog food and Canyon Creek River brand dog foods; both are good for the dogs. A bit spendy but it will save her tummy and the vet bills. If it helps her to have a good quality of life-I am so there .. I make treats for her but I don't use garlic or onions as my vet said they were bad for the dog.

AZ Jane 10-19-2012 07:40 AM

As you can see, I have an English Bulldog named Peaches. She is a rescue and I was warned her had multiple problems. The first I noticed immediately, she smelled!!!!! After a bath, she wasn't any better. Trip to the vet, no REAL answer. Started reading up and discovered some breeds have a real issue with yeast, aggravated by common dog food products. Switched her to Blue Buffalo and all her yeast problems have cleared up. Now if I could just get her weight down!! LOL, but she's hungry!!

Sewze 10-19-2012 07:53 AM

When I was growing up (a zillion years ago) there was no pet food or supplements commercially made and so our dogs and cats ate 'people' food, which was usually leftovers from our meals and included oat meal, rice, vegetables, and meat and occasionally got beef marrow bones for their teeth. We also gave them garlic to repel the fleas (no commercial products there either) and they lived long healthy lives. I'm not saying that we should go back to those days for feeding pets. Just saying. Jinnie

sparkys_mom 10-19-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by vjengels (Post 5595133)
I wanted to make food for my 2 dogs, until I spoke with my Vet, his advice was the same as ' Sparkys Mom', you have to suppliment their diet with the correct mixture of nutrients & vitamims, so, I make the trainning treats for my dogs, mostly because I wanted something they wouldn't 'stick their noses up' at. It's easy really- pure`d raw liver, corn meal , flour raw garlic, eggs bake , cut up & refrigerate, you can't make them fast enough.

Speaking of treats - I thought I would share this recipe. It is not original with me but I've been using it for a long time.

Sparky's Favorite Liver Cake
1 lb. Liver, rinsed and drained
1 cup rice flour (rice flour is great for dogs with a corn or wheat allergy)
1 egg
1 garlic clove, minced (optional - my dogs have never had a problem with garlic)
1 handful minced fresh parsley
1 carrot, sliced.

Frosting (optional, but great for birthdays and other celebrations) 3 oz. Cream cheese 1 cup plain yogurt

Cover liver with water and simmer 5-10 minutes.
ln food processor, blend all ingredients. lt will be very dry and sticky. Spray a mini-bundt pan, a bread loaf pan, or an 8" cake pan with Pam so the cake will fall right out.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and sides of cake fall away from the pan. Cool in pan.
lf frosting, cool completely, then ice cake and refrigerate until "party".

Special notes: I double this recipe for a six container bundt pan. For treats: I slice very thin and store in freezer.

mjhaess 10-19-2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by johin (Post 5594551)
Every one know. that how to make Chinas food, Continantale food and various kind of food,
but its my question to all , If any know how to make dog food and cat food. why we bought food from markete for our pets. if we make in our own hand fresh in best quality .I think its better than other.
so its my question have there are any animal food sheff?

I make all my own dog food and have for almost two years...I have a schnauzer with severe allergies so I started making his food...When I found that it was almost cheaper to make it, I started to make food for my other schnauzer and my rottie and my chow mix breed. My Vet thought it was a great idea..It has helped the schnauzer a lot with his allergies and I have noticed that their coats are shinney and like silk.
Two thirds meat....I also use egg and cottage cheese.
one third veggies....I use green beans and carrots.....They must be blended in a food processer before adding them to the food....Dogs do not digest veggies well unless they are pureed...per my Vet.
One third starch...I use oatmeal and brown rice...
Flax seed oil and liquid multi-vit. is also added.
The dogs love it and I feel better about what I feed them....