Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   I need a salad recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/i-need-salad-recipe-t219674.html)

tlambing 04-21-2013 07:59 PM

How about a green salad with fruit, bacon and feta? I usually use pears, strawberries and tonight I added blackberries. Crisp bacon and walnuts and a few dried cranberries. You can make your own sweet dressing or buy a raspberry vinaigrette. It's healthy and feels very rich to eat :)

JanTx 04-21-2013 08:22 PM

That brocolli salad posted earlier is a favorite around here. Asian Slaw is another good one. There are many versions out there, but this looks like the one my family likes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/asian-ram...layout=desktop

youngduncan 04-22-2013 04:03 AM

I like to cook a package of bowtie pasta, then add some coarsely chopped celery, a small jar of chopped pimientos, a coarsely chopped tomato, a can of ripe olives (coarsely chopped), and about a cup of grated mild cheddar cheese. Add some Italian salad dressing and toss everything together. Makes a nice big bowl. It's even better the next day -- if there are leftovers.

psquared52 04-22-2013 04:13 AM

Fresh Green Pea Salad
Very easy, colorful and tasty. Amounts are flexible depending on how much you want to make. For our family, I use 1 bag of small frozen green peas. Defrost the peas. Cook 1/4 lb. or so of bacon. Drain and chop. Cut small cubes of pepper jack cheese. Mix all together with ranch dressing. You want a light coating of the dressing. Easy to make several hours in advance. Nice balance of flavors.

adnil458 04-22-2013 04:31 AM

Crunchy Cabbage Salad

1 pk (3 oz) chicken ramen noodles
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 teasp salt
1/2 teasp pepper
5 cups shredded green cabbage
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup chopped sweet pepper
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
2 Tbsp sesame seeds toasted

Break noodles set aside. In a jar with a tight fitting lid combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and half of the contents of seasoning packet or save for another use. In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Add noodles and dressing toss to coat, serve immediately. Yield 10-12 servings.

Cris 04-22-2013 04:35 AM

BLT Macaroni salad, I always get asked for the recipe when I bring this salad.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/BLT-Macaroni-Salad-2

duckydo 04-22-2013 05:21 AM

Salad Recipe

I take this one to a lot of dinners and it goes over well and I usually double it.. I can of peach pie filling, 1 granny smith apple chopped, one banana sliced and one can of chunk pineapple drained. Mix all together with a small dash of cinnamon and chill. It is very good!

oleganny 04-22-2013 05:26 AM

I think my favorite salad in all the world is spinach, sliced strawberries, fresh mandarin oranges (cuties), slivered almonds, very finely sliced red onion, water chestnuts - crumbled bacon for topping - sometimes we sprinkle on some sunflower seeds, too. At home we use a warm fresh strawberry vinaigrette dressing, but it would be good with a bottled fruit vinaigrette dressing.

Colbaltjars62 04-22-2013 05:46 AM

How about Neptune salad?
1- 2lb pkg Imitation crab meat(thawed and cut & separated)Or Canned Chicken Breast meat drained and blotted dry.
1- Bunch Celery (chopped on an angle to look pretty not bigger than 1/2 inch)
2- Bunches green onions (chopped at an angle not bigger than 1/2 inch)
1- 1lb Medium-Sharp cheddar cheese (cubed not more than 1/2 square)
1-2- cans Sliced Black Olives (drained and rinsed once and allowed to dry a bit)
1+ cups Sour Cream
2+ TBSP. Heavy mayo (By Heavy I mean not a runny brand, you want it to be thick)
1-2 TBSP. 12 meshCracked(very course) Black pepper

Mix first 5 ingredients and add Mayo and Sour Cream. Consistency should be just a little dry as celery will weep a little overnight. Add Cracked Black Pepper.
I do not add any seasoning salt to it because the Surimi (imitation crab meat) has plenty in it.
You can serve right away or even wait a couple days in the fridge.
You can also add about 1-2 TBSP of Prepared Mustard or Grey Poupon if your taste buds run that way.
You can also chop ingredients smaller and add more mayo for a wonderful sandwich filler.
This has always been a hit..

Gerbie 04-22-2013 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Missi (Post 6017343)
My guild is having a salad supper next week and I want to try something new. I took cornbread salad last year and it was passed over by most. Not sure why last potluck I took it to everyone wanted the recipe. It's a salad supper so we have everything from meat salads to desert salads. Does anyone have a great salad recipe they would share? Thanks!

Here are two of my quick salads for groups: Frito Salad and "Green" Salad
Frito Salad:
1 pkg. regular size Frito corn chips, 2-3 regular size chopped tomatoes, iceburg lettuce shredded or chopped for this salad I use aprx 1/2 head, Small bottle of Catalina Salad Dressing, 1 medium finely chopped green bell pepper, cheddar cheese grated, small purple onion finely chopped, 1 can of Ranch Style beans, drained, Mix tomatoes, pepper, onion, lettuce and stir well, add Fritos, Catalina aprx. 1/4-1/2 cup, or desired amount and same for cheese (desired amt.), LAST so the Fritos do not get soggy. I normally take everything prepared in small plastic baggies and mix it all together just before serving. Sometimes I add about 1/2 -1 lb of well cooked bacon, chopped finely. Prepare in a LARGE bowl makes a large salad.
The original recipe called for Catalina, so I have no idea what other dressings might taste like with this salad. Everyone seems to like the flavor that Catalina give this. This can truly be a meal on it's own. When I get extremely lazy with cooking, I often make this for DH and self for evening meals, especially during the summer.

"Green" Salad - my children's favorite, (40 & 37) they still ask for this one.
1 large pkg. of any flavor DRY jello, (my family prefers Lime - hence "Green"), 1 large carton small curd cottage cheese, 1 large carton of Cool Whip (Thawed), 1 large can of (Drained) crushed pineapple, chopped pecans if desired. I mix the DRY jello and pineapple together, until jello is well mixed, then add the cottage cheese, and Cool whip and mix all well. Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of chopped pecans if desired and mix well. This all needs to really be stirred well to get the cool whip and cottage cheese mixed with other ingrediends. TA-DA quick easy and cool salad. This can be made the night before, but needs to be kept refrigerated until ready to use.
Using the amount given, this makes a large salad, you may use the small amounts of each ingredient to make a small salad. This salad is really good in hot weather, because it can be used for a salad or a desert.

Here is my recipe for Cornbread Salad(My daughters favorite)
1 pkg. each of Mexican cornbread and regular cornbread- cook according to pkg. directions I cook both pkgs. together, 1 -2 bunches of green onions chopped, 1 lb. well cooked bacon, (finely chopped when cooked), 1-2 chopped tomatoes, 1 med. size chopped green Bell Pepper, 1 cup of mayo. I allow the cornbread to cool completely, then crumble finely into the bowl I will be using - makes a large salad -then add all of the ingredients and stir well, and finally add the mayo, and stir WELL. I have to make this each holiday for DD.

What is your recipe? Would love to have it if it is different from this.

Enjoy your lunch, and let us know how it goes. Some people are just too picky with salads, me for one - I only care for 2 dressings, French and Catalina or nothing at all) lol. I do not do pasta salads well, but love most every other kind.