Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   I need a salad recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/i-need-salad-recipe-t219674.html)

kso 04-25-2013 12:28 PM

Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad

1# jumbo cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, chopped
1 med tomoato, diced
1 avocado, diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced (could substitute diced bell pepper)
1/4 c chopped red onion
2 limes, juice of
1 tsp olive oil
1 T chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Combine onion, lime juice, olive oil salt and pepper in a small bowl.

In a large bowl combine the remainder of the ingredients. Drizzle the dressing over the shrimp mixture. Add cilantro. Toss and serve on bed of mixed greens.

GrandmaPeggy 04-25-2013 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk (Post 6017524)
Broccoli Salad......never get to bring leftovers home, no matter how much or how little I make.

2 crowns of Broccoli cut into florets....bite size
1/4 to 1/2 purple onion, peel, cut in half from stem to root, cut this in half crosswise and slice into sticks
1/4 to 1/2 cup broken pecans
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots....or shred on large side of grater
1 to 2 c craisins
3 to 5 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and cooled
1 to 2 cups mayonnaise mixed with about 1/2 c Miracle Whip and sweetner of your choice, stir this until sweetener, either sugar or substitute is mixed well and is smooth.

Mix all together and stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
Let set at least 2-4 hrs or overnight is better

Hope you enjoy.

delma

Try using Coleslaw dressing instead of mixing one yourself. We like it.

cathyvv 04-25-2013 07:53 PM

Celery and apple salad. Chop some celery, chop up an apple, add some miracle whip, mix them all up and you're ready to go. You could use mayo instead of miracle whip if you like that better. Sometimes I add a 1/4 cup of raisins to the apples and celery, as well.

cathyvv 04-25-2013 07:55 PM

It's a quick cooking pasta, as well. Great to use when time is short.

Tropical 04-25-2013 10:18 PM

Our favorite salad is a fresh tossed salad. I use fresh crisp lettuces and spinach. I add all of the fresh veggies I can find. I add avocado, tomatoes, black olives, sliced boiled egg, sliced pickled beets, seedless cucumber, carrot curls, red and green peppers and fresh sliced mushrooms. The list goes on to include any fresh veggies I have on hand. Sometimes I add grilled shrimp and other times grilled chicken for a bit of protein. I top the salad with fresh grated sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese. Any type of dressing is quite good. I have to add that the pickled beets do not enter my DH's salad bowl. He won't even try them. :):):)

Tropical 04-25-2013 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical (Post 6026640)
Our favorite salad is a fresh tossed salad. I use fresh crisp lettuces and spinach. I add all of the fresh veggies I can find. I add avocado, tomatoes, black olives, sliced boiled egg, sliced pickled beets, seedless cucumber, carrot curls, red and green peppers and fresh sliced mushrooms. The list goes on to include any fresh veggies I have on hand. Sometimes I add grilled shrimp and other times grilled chicken for a bit of protein. I top the salad with fresh grated sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese. Any type of dressing is quite good. I have to add that the pickled beets do not enter my DH's salad bowl. He won't even try them. :):):)

I forgot to mention the roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds that I sprinkle on top.
I hope you find a recipe you like to eat and enjoy making. :):):)

annie123 04-26-2013 03:01 AM

Spinach salad is super easy and always well received:

baby spinach leaves
Dried cranberries or Craisins
Feta cheese crumbles
Vidalia onion dressing

Mix all together in quantity desired.

Dawnmarieodya 04-30-2013 11:39 PM

This is a bean salad that I grew up on and it has been a hit nomatter where I take It.
Porkin beans 1or 2 cans how much you want to make. Drain the beans in a colander set a side.
The recipe calls for 1lb bacon fried crispy then crumbled.! 1 onion cut into sm pieces. Pickles cut up into diced size pieces.Boil eggs 3,4,5, how ever many you want then cut up into sm oieces. You mix all this up and then add Mayo.I grew up on Helmans. A friend tried mircle whip and it didnt taste the same. You can take a tablespoon or 2 of bacon greese and this holds it all together.My Mom always used this but I dont because of the fat content. It is best cold so i make it the day before I want to serve it.You can fool around with all ingredents to fit the number of people you serve. You will like it and people will ask for the recipe. I grew up in northern Indiana so I guess it came from there. Enjoy. Dawn Marie Odya

Cosy 05-02-2013 01:37 PM

Romaine lettuce, torn quite small
8 oz canned mandarin oranges, drained well
1 medium avocado, cubed
2-3 oz pecans, chopped roughly
1 cup fresh raspberries
Toss with enough Kraft"s Raspberry Vinaigrette to moisten

Add a poached chicken breast, cubed and/or a hard boiled egg, chopped to make this a main dish.

Sandygirl 10-24-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk (Post 6017524)
Broccoli Salad......never get to bring leftovers home, no matter how much or how little I make.

2 crowns of Broccoli cut into florets....bite size
1/4 to 1/2 purple onion, peel, cut in half from stem to root, cut this in half crosswise and slice into sticks
1/4 to 1/2 cup broken pecans
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots....or shred on large side of grater
1 to 2 c craisins
3 to 5 slices of thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and cooled
1 to 2 cups mayonnaise mixed with about 1/2 c Miracle Whip and sweetner of your choice, stir this until sweetener, either sugar or substitute is mixed well and is smooth.

Mix all together and stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
Let set at least 2-4 hrs or overnight is better

Hope you enjoy.

delma

This might be the salad I bring to thanksgiving. Sounds yummy!
sandy