Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Ideas for Book Club Dinner Menu (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/ideas-book-club-dinner-menu-t211486.html)

Jeannette51 01-21-2013 07:41 PM

Our book club plans the meal around the book. We have had some fantastic dinners over the years. Just think about the book and plan the dinner from there.

lovelyl 01-22-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt (Post 5802390)
Lasagna. You can make it ahead and freeze it and then just get it out and cook it. I also have a recipe for a baked spaghetti casserole that can be frozen. You just get it out of the freezer the night before and let it sit at room temperature 1/2 hour before cooking. If you need the recipe I'll post it.

Ohhhh! Please post your recipe for the baked spaghetti casserole! Thanks!

alwayslearning 01-22-2013 03:08 PM

Can you tie it to the book you are discussing?

nstitches4u 01-22-2013 07:30 PM

I had to laugh when several people suggested choosing something to tie the meal to the book. I have a friend who hosted her book club the month they read "The Help". She served chocolate pie for dessert. If you have read that book, you will know why I laughed.

TanyaL 01-22-2013 11:37 PM

Would you post your menu when you have your meeting? Our book club has a horrible time with its lunches. We serve 25 ladies, and have two Celiacs, 3 diabetics, and several on diets who are very picky. We have to have at least one non sweet dessert, one non-wheat/gluten main dish. And heaven help us if we repeat a dish too soon. Good luck with your menu.

linmid 01-24-2013 06:15 PM

"We just had GNO or I should say GN In -- had potato soup done in a crockpot and then bowls of garnishes - chives, cheese, bacon bits, sour cream and croutons. Served with French bread and a fruit salad. Yummy!!!!"

This sounds delicious what potato soup recipe do you have for the crockpot?

CindyA 01-26-2013 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5806808)
Would you post your menu when you have your meeting? Our book club has a horrible time with its lunches. We serve 25 ladies, and have two Celiacs, 3 diabetics, and several on diets who are very picky. We have to have at least one non sweet dessert, one non-wheat/gluten main dish. And heaven help us if we repeat a dish too soon. Good luck with your menu.

That's tough! Luckily, no one in the group has allergies or medical conditions that restrict what we serve. If book club lands during lent we have one member that gives up something (one year it was red meat). I've served lasagne several times so I don't want to do that again, although everyone liked it. I just tried a new baked ravioli recipe that was good, but maybe that's too similar to lasagne. I like the 'make your own taco salad' idea above, but that might take me a little more time the night of the meal. I served spinach bacon quiche last year and that was a hit. Still mulling it over. . . and, yes, if I remember I will come back here and post what I decided on.

CindyA 02-09-2013 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5806808)

Tanya, I had book club this past week. The co-hostess brought a dip with chips and veges, I servied a pear cranberry salad, baked cheese ravioli with meat sauce, and bread. The co-hostess brought lemon merinque pie for dessert. Everyone seemed to enjoy the salad, especially the dressing. I had made it that morning and I didn't think it tasted that great, but by the time I got home from work the flavors seemed to improve. If you google the name you'll find several recipes. My recipe had: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and fresh garlic. Several people said the liked the ravioli, but to be honest, a couple of them kind of picked at it. I'm wondering if the ladies would have liked a lighter marinara sauce more than the meat sauce. I had tested the meat sauce out on my family and they loved it - but they're all males and love red meat. Once I made bacon spinach quiche and it was a big hit. But that recipe was much more labor intensive than the baked ravioli. I bought the frozen cheese ravioli and made my own sauce. Good luck, and you have a lot more to feed than I do.

deenatoo 02-15-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt (Post 5802390)
Lasagna. You can make it ahead and freeze it and then just get it out and cook it. I also have a recipe for a baked spaghetti casserole that can be frozen. You just get it out of the freezer the night before and let it sit at room temperature 1/2 hour before cooking. If you need the recipe I'll post it.

I would like to have your baked spaghetti casserole recipe.....

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 02-15-2013 01:36 PM

Baked Spaghetti
1 16 oz. pk. of spaghetti
1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef
1 large (48 ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
2 cups mozzerella cheese
Cook spaghetti. Brown ground beef and drain. Add spaghetti sauce to beef. Combine soup and milk. In 2- 8 inch square pans layer- meat mix, spaghetti, soup mix, then cheese. Repeat layer. Cover one casserole and freeze for up to 3 months. Bake remaining casserole at 350 for 55-65 minutes, To use frozen casserole, thaw in fridge overnight. Set out at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. Can use a 9x13 pan if you don't want to divide.