Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Ideas for Book Club Dinner Menu (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/ideas-book-club-dinner-menu-t211486.html)

CindyA 01-20-2013 09:34 AM

Ideas for Book Club Dinner Menu

I'm hosting my book club dinner the first week of February. So, definitely red/pink/white centerpiece, etc. I'm trying to think of a nice, foolproof menu.Last month we had a chicken casserole and vegetables. The month before was a nice soup and bread. Someone else is bringing the appetizer and dessert. I only need to provide the main course, sides, and drinks. Ideas?

francie yuhas 01-20-2013 05:58 PM

How about a pasta casserole? Combine cooked meat,onions,pasta sauce; layer it with cooked pasta and layer of mozzarella. Add a nice green salad with pears and dried cranberries with champagne dressing, have some good bread...you're done. No last minute stuff to do,can easily make it to serve any number of folks,what's not to like? I fed this often to my quilting group.

dotcomdtcm 01-20-2013 06:19 PM

Baked ravioli, always a hit. A little more chic than ziti.

Vat 01-21-2013 04:20 AM

I just hosted my quilting bee and had: Potato Soup, Ham and Swiss Sliders and Homemade Macaroons
Everyone loved it. Could do everything ahead of time and cooked soup in the crock-pot . The easiest luncheon I have ever done.

CindyA 01-21-2013 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really do need to have most or all of it done ahead of time so I'm not stressed after work trying to get it on the table.

Pete 01-21-2013 07:43 AM

We just had GNO or I should say GN In -- had potato soup done in a crockpot and then bowls of garnishes - chives, cheese, bacon bits, sour cream and croutons. Served with French bread and a fruit salad. Yummy!!!!
If you want you can do individual servings in a bread bowl.

LindaJR 01-21-2013 08:13 AM

If you have read Caroly Hart books, the lead character is a caterer and the recipes she makes fotr the parties, weddings, etc, are always in the book. Kinda of goes with the theme as it would be for a book club and the recipe came from a non cookbook.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 01-21-2013 08:58 AM

Lasagna. You can make it ahead and freeze it and then just get it out and cook it. I also have a recipe for a baked spaghetti casserole that can be frozen. You just get it out of the freezer the night before and let it sit at room temperature 1/2 hour before cooking. If you need the recipe I'll post it.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-21-2013 09:26 AM

One thing some book clubs think about is if there is a food theme in the book that can be used. That can add a bit of additional fun. Even if it's just little samples of something in the book that you've never tried.

lbc 01-21-2013 10:34 AM

I just hosted a bunco party and served taco salads. Made taco bowls with the new pan that has been advertised and then had all the fixings (meat, refried beans, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, olives, guacamole and sour cream) and everyone made their own salad. Guests brought desserts.