Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking Fruit-cake cookies or rock cookies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-fruit-cake-cookies-rock-cookies-t171756.html)

wanabquilter 12-11-2011 07:58 PM

Looking Fruit-cake cookies or rock cookies

Hi I am a huge fruit cake lover. About 8 years ago a co-workers wife made cookies that were fruit cake and he called them rocks. I have tried to find the recipe every sence, and no his wife was not welling to share the recipe.
Can anyone help me. I really only want one or two. But I will make them to get them and then pass the rest on. If I can find someone who like fruit cake.

patimint 12-11-2011 08:48 PM

Found this on the web, haven't tried it, but it sounds good. Maybe this will help: Fruit Cake Cookies Recipe

Recipe Type: Cookies, Christmas Cookie, Dates, Candied Fruits, Drop Cookies
Yields: 5 dozen cookies
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups dates, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons rum
3/4 cup candied cherries
3/4 cup white raisins
2 slices candied pineapple, coarsely chopped
2 cups coarsely-chopped toasted walnuts*
2 cups coarsely-chopped toasted almonds*
2 cups coarsely-chopped toasted pecans*
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
Grated zest of 1 orange
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract

* How to toast nuts - Spread nuts in a single layer on a baking pan (one with walls is best) for toasting in the oven. Cook at 400 degrees F for 7 to 10 minutes or until the nuts start to turn golden. Shake the pan halfway through toasting. NOTE: You can use any combination of nuts or fruits in the recipe that you wish. Whatever you have on hand in the pantry.

Preparation:

In the top of a double boiler over hot water, combine dates and rum; let steep 2 to 3 hours. Remove from heat and let cool.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine candied cherries, white raisins, candied pineapple, walnuts, almonds, and pecans. Sift 1/4 cup flour over the fruit and nut mixture; stir until well blended. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; add egg and continue to cream until light and fluffy. Sift cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and mace into butter mixture; stir until well blended. Add steeped dates, orange zest, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract to batter; stir until well blended. Add fruit and nut mixture; stir until well blended.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown (be careful not to over bake). Remove from oven and cool on wire cooling racks.

Store cookies in an airtight container.

Yields 5 dozen cookies.

I just typed in "fruit cake cookies" in my search and pulled up several cookies, but to me these sounded best.

Sandygirl 12-12-2011 03:57 AM

I love fruitcake and make them almost every year. They are delicious! Not like that garbage that grocery stores sell. I even have lots of friends and family who request to be on the recipient list!

I used to make a fruitcake bar cookie but I would have to find the recipe. Go to www.allrecipes.com and I am sure that you will find lots of recipes. Good luck!
sandy

1948shygirl63 12-12-2011 04:44 AM

Fruit Cookies 1 Cup Crisco 2 Cups Brown sugar (Cream together) Add 2 whole eggs 1/2 cup Buttermilk Mix well.Sift dry items together,3-1/2 cups selfrising flour,1 tsp soda ,then add to wet items.Stir in a large container of mixed candied fruit{Walmart) 1-1/2 chopped pecans 1-1/2 cups chopped dates.Mix well. If you like lots of fruit you can always add more. Bake on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper for 10-12 minutes. Watch closely as they can burn easily.everyones oven is different. I make these every year as a matter of fact I usually 4 or 5 times this amount as most of my family love them. After cooling keep in containers seperating layers with foil or waxed paper.Enjoy! [email protected]

mollysmom2004 12-12-2011 06:06 AM

I have made these before and they are delicious: Fruitcake Cookies
1 pound dates
4 ounces candid cherries
4 ounces candid pineapple
2 cups chopped pecans
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
Chop dates, cherries, pineapples, nuts. In bowl combine flour, soda, salt and cinnamon, pour over fruits and nuts. Stir until well coated. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Add to fruit. Mix well. Drop by teaspoonful on greased baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Yields 6 dozen.

QuiltE 12-12-2011 07:14 AM

Here's the easiest recipe you'll find .....

Christmas Cake Cookies
================
Beat together
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter

Add in and mix well,
one double layer golden cake mix
spices to taste (eg. cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, etc.)

Stir in
whatever Christmas Cake add-ins you wish (eg. chopped fruit, peel, chopped nuts, dates, etc.)
(for me, it's usually whatever leftovers I have in my cupboards!)

If too stiff, add a little water.

Drop onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake at 325F for about 8-10 minutes (time varies, according to how big of drops you make).