Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for a recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-recipe-t146187.html)

GrandmK 08-18-2011 08:17 PM

The corn is ready and I am not home but my brother told me he would freeze some corn for me if I told him how. My mom had the most wonderful recipe where you cut the corn off the cob raw and then cooked it with Butter, water, salt, maybe some cream and sugar. I just don't know for sure then you cooled it in flat pans like cake pans and when cool bagged and froze. I know it is at the house but I am not home and others are NOT having any luck finding it. Does anyone have a recipe like this?? I have goggled it and must be doing something wrong as I am not coming up with anything

pab58 08-18-2011 08:43 PM

Well, I'm sure this isn't what you have in mind, but I will tell you how my mama and I always put up our corn. We parboil it for a couple of minutes, drain it, let it cool down enough so you can handle it. We then cut about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the kernels and then scrape the cob. We put the corn in ziploc style sandwich bags or regular sandwich baggies (just use a twist tie to secure the top). We portion it out in the bags. We freeze it, and when we're ready to use it, we simply put the frozen corn in a saucepot, add a little bit of water, salt and butter and cook it until it's nice and bubbly. It is the best tasting corn EVER!!!! It's not really whole kernel corn and not cream style corn. It's somewhere in between. Since you mentioned adding milk, I'm sure you could do that to this corn. My grandma used to freeze her corn like this, and we've never felt any need to change it! ;) ;)

NanaCsews2 08-18-2011 09:00 PM

This is how I make it, my mom and grandma did too.
18 -20 ears of corn. Cut the corn from cob. Boil 1 qt water. Add the corn and 2/3 c sugar and 2 tsp salt. Simmer for 6-7 min. Drain any liquid and pour the corn onto a shallow pan to cool. Jelly roll pans work very well. Add 1/2 C real butter (name brand tastes the best. Our favorite is Land O Lakes, salted.) Stir the corn to mix in the melting butter. Let cool. Spoon into freezer bags and freeze. Makes about 3 quarts. Less if you just can't stand it and have to grab a spoon and keep taste testing it. When you take it from the freezer, simply boil up water in a pan and drop the freezer bag into the water. It does not need to be thawed to do this.

littleone 08-18-2011 09:09 PM

NanaCsews2 - have copied your recipe. I froze corn last year for the first time and it turned out good, but your method sounds so delicious.

leatheflea 08-19-2011 04:07 AM

I never blanch, just straight off the cob and into the freezer. Taste fresh off the cob 2 years later. I do all my veggies that way when I freeze. I found that blanching causes them to get rubbery and tough.

onthelake 08-19-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I never blanch, just straight off the cob and into the freezer. Taste fresh off the cob 2 years later. I do all my veggies that way when I freeze. I found that blanching causes them to get rubbery and tough.

My family found the secret to good frozen corn was to pick early in the morning and keep it cool. Keep it cold in ice chests after shucking and silking. After it was shucked and silked, we did it in batches so the corn never got warm. We clipped the top of the kernels off, scraped the remaining corn into a pan (protect the area with newspaper) and then placed 2 cups in freezer bag with a couple of cubes of ice, then into the freezer. The ice cubes prevent the corn from "going through a heat" while in the freezer. If you're doing a lot, spread the bags out in the freezer as much as possible so they freeze quickly. When you're ready to cook, just add butter, salt and enough water to keep it the consistency you like. Begin cooking slowly until the corn is thawed and beginning to thicken, stirring several times. We usually baked ours, but it can easily be cooked on top of the stove. Our corn was always field corn, but it works with sweet corn too...just a different taste. This method really retains the "fresh corn" taste and shortens the process of freezing. Good luck.

amma 08-19-2011 09:43 AM

It sounds like you are looking for a recipe for creamed corn :D:D:D

onthelake 08-19-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by amma
It sounds like you are looking for a recipe for creamed corn :D:D:D

For whole kernel corn, I would treat it the same way. Keep cold, put ice cubes in the bag and immediately to the freezer. No blanching.