Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Maid-Rites? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/maid-rites-t211151.html)

sandyl 01-16-2013 03:05 PM

Maid-Rites?

I grew up in the quad cities in Illinois and our big treat was to go to the Maid Rite for sandwiches. I would love to have the real recipe for these sandwiches. They are loose ground beef and served with the "standard" of mustard, onion and pickle. I think the gr. beef was steamed with coca cola or something. Such a yummy sandwich and every time we go "home" I must visit a Maid-Rite restaurant.

If anyone has the recipe for these sandwiches I would love to try it.
Sandy

Sandygirl 01-16-2013 03:08 PM

Google recipe maid rite. You will find the recipe.

Sandy

sandyl 01-16-2013 03:19 PM

Sandy, being from the midwest, have you had a Maid Rite? I've googled and found that some recipes say beef broth and others say chicken broth. I think that I will use the beef broth and see how it is. I think that the last time we were there I saw a dark liquid being added to the steamer. Thought that maybe someone on here had found the PERFECT recipe.
Sandy

tesspug 01-16-2013 03:52 PM

I've never been to the Mid-west, but I watched the TV show Roseann. She had a shop that made sandwiches like that. I made up my own recipe. Just seasoned ground beef with onions. The family loved them.

kay carlson 01-16-2013 04:21 PM

Ahhhhhhh....... Didn't the Maid-Rite originate in Marshalltown? I used to get the sandwich in downtown Des Moines when I worked at Capital Square in the mid 1980's. :-)

I saved the following recipe article as printed in the Des Moines Register during that timeframe.

LaRue Grubbs of Perry, Joy Bricker of Earlham and Dott Barney of Des Moines shared their recipes, which taste like REAL Maid-Rites. Bricker and Barney sent the same recipes.

MAID-RITE-STYLE BEEF from LaRue Grubbs
4 pounds ground beef
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 quart tomato juice
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup mustard
1-2 cups soda cracker crumbs
Cook beef and onions until done, but not completely brown; add salt and pepper. Blend tomato juice, eggs, and mustard. Simmer 30 minutes; remove from heat. Add to meat mixture and add crumbs. Mix.

MAID-RITE-STYLE BEEF -----from Joy Bricker and Dott Barney
2 pounds extra lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth

Cook beef and onion until pink is gone. (Barney addes 2 teaspoons oil for browning meat.) Add broth and simmer until broth is absorbed.

---------------
There are some recipes I have saved from various parts of the USA where I have lived. The above was copied from the actual newspaper clipping. :-)

tatavw01 01-16-2013 04:23 PM

hope this helps
the Maid-Rite sandwich's meat is not formed into a patty, making it similar to a sloppy joe only without the tomato-based sauce.
http://www.food.com/recipe/maid-rite-sandwiches-109699

KarenB 01-17-2013 04:23 AM

Being from Central IL, I have had many many maid rites. I believe it is beef consomme, not beef or chicken broth. I think there is a little pickle seasoning (not relish), and steamed over water. We have never tried coke. Our little maid rite closed and they had the best ever! Good luck!

himnherr 01-17-2013 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 5791204)
I've never been to the Mid-west, but I watched the TV show Roseann. She had a shop that made sandwiches like that. I made up my own recipe. Just seasoned ground beef with onions. The family loved them.

Roseanne was married at the time to Tom Arnold & they owned a house outside of Fairfield, Iowa. She loved maid-rites & opened a restaurant near there but described her sandwiches as "loose meat" sandwiches. Lol! Just a bit of useless trivia. My in-laws lived in Fairfield at the time.

Sandygirl 01-17-2013 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl (Post 5791141)
Sandy, being from the midwest, have you had a Maid Rite? I've googled and found that some recipes say beef broth and others say chicken broth. I think that I will use the beef broth and see how it is. I think that the last time we were there I saw a dark liquid being added to the steamer. Thought that maybe someone on here had found the PERFECT recipe.
Sandy

I tasted one years ago. I like White Castle much better. I grew up in the St Louis area. Maid Rite was not in my area. i ate one in Rolla MO...college town, rural. White Castle...I ate them in my late teens and twenties, in the wee early hours of the morning...after the bars closed. We needed something cheap to soak up the beer. Not sure I would eat one in the daylight now and my bar hopping days have been over for 30 years, thankfully! Ah....youth.

Sandy

Sandygirl 01-17-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by KarenB (Post 5792096)
Being from Central IL, I have had many many maid rites. I believe it is beef consomme, not beef or chicken broth. I think there is a little pickle seasoning (not relish), and steamed over water. We have never tried coke. Our little maid rite closed and they had the best ever! Good luck!

Isn' t there one in Peoria??