Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   meals that freeze well (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/meals-freeze-well-t203050.html)

Annaquilts 10-13-2012 06:21 AM

Make your own freezer buritos with lots of meat and some veggies. If you freeze it all in a dish you can add some rice and beans too or add them in the burrito. I agree on the casseroles, chicken pot pie, Italian dishes and enchildas and such. When I would be gone I would have to make meals that DH could just microwave and eat on the go. He would not sit down or make anything and he would not do dishes, so I inverste din some dispossable wares and packaging tha the could heat the food in. I noticed he was perfectly fine with a small selection of choices as long as it was easy to eat, on the go and had a lot of moisture like sauces.

MimiBug123 10-13-2012 09:27 AM

Anything made by Stouffers!!!! I always keep a good stock on hand to use on my quilt all day days!

quiltingcandy 10-13-2012 09:36 AM

Oops a double post.

quiltingcandy 10-13-2012 09:37 AM

When my mother lived by herself she lived with various frozen dinners because even though she was the best cook on the earth she never really liked to cook. When my husband was overseas, before the days of microwaves, I would buy my favorite pizza, take it home eat my two pieces and freeze the others in sections. And remember those pie shaped Tupperware dishes? Since the two of us could never finish a whole pie, when I baked a pie (which seemed like a lot back then) I would half of the pie cut into those dishes and he could take out a piece at a time. His mother used to make 17 pies at a time so they always had pies in the freezer. (I understand a can of Crisco makes 17 pie crusts - don't know personally I like the Pillsbury dough brand and you get 2 crusts at a time.)

SewExtremeSeams 10-13-2012 09:46 AM

Just bought a crockpot, so this is a timely topic. thanks.

Fran Foss 10-13-2012 09:49 AM

Hi
You girls seem to know everything about everything so, here is a question for you. Can pecan pie be frozen????
I just got alot of pecans from my sister and would like to make pies but, unless I can freeze them even one pie would be too much for me.
Thanks my intelligent friends

delma_paulk 10-13-2012 09:55 AM

For Fran Foss.....yes, you can freeze pecan pie, does very well; can also freeze your pecans.

I make dressing like for Thanksgiving and cook it in a muffin tin; freezes well and if you are really hungry you can thaw up two of them, add your turkey or chicken to the dressing and you will have some in each muffin.

Also you can make individual ham quiches in a muffin tin without the pie shell. These freeze well also. You can also cook your veg side dishes and freeze them in serving sizes and they do well.

Bless you for still being a good mom

delma

Fran Foss 10-13-2012 01:01 PM

Delma_paulk
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm off to make pies.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Dressing in muffin tin sound like a great idea.
Thanks again
I love you guys and this board. I have learned sew much

thimblebug6000 10-13-2012 02:03 PM

I'm making a salmon loaf tonight, it freezes well. Also the recipe from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry ladies called Starvin' Guy Chicken Pot Pie freezes well.

suzanprincess 10-14-2012 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fran Foss (Post 5582523)
Hi
I just got alot of pecans from my sister and would like to make pies but, unless I can freeze them even one pie would be too much for me.

Since one pie is too much, try making tarts instead--just mini pies, using muffin pans or custard cups or whatever you have on hand. I prefer them myself because I like a higher crust to filling ratio with pecan pie so it's less sweet.