Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   mock apple pie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/mock-apple-pie-t230445.html)

carolstickelmaier 09-17-2013 11:09 AM

mock apple pie

My Mother recently passed away and we are trying to clean out her home. Makes me want to empty mine before the kids have to do it. Anyway we found a couple of recipes for Mock Apple Pie but they were done with soda crackers. I remember my great grandmother making them with Ritz crackers. Anyone have the recipe using Ritz crackers?

QandE2010 09-17-2013 11:16 AM

I got this off the Ritz Cracker Box.

Ritz Mock Apple Pie
Fool your friends and family with this mock apple pie, it really tastes like apple pie.

Ingredients

2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 unbaked pie shells, or 1 package of refrigerated pie crust dough
36 to 40 Ritz crackers
Zest of lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons of butter cut into small pices
Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sized sauce pan combine water, sugar, and cream of tartar, bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir lemon juice and zest into syrup in the mixture, reduce heat to low, and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, after 15 minutes allow syrup to cool.

Place one pie crust in a pie pan, and then break crackers into the pie pie shell. Pour syrup over the crackers. Sprinkle cinnamon over crackers, and sprinkle over nutmeg over the crackers. Top with pie shell with remaining pie crust. Pinch together crusts and then trim off excess pie shell. Make a couple of slits in the top of the pie so the steam can escape while cooking. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown. It is best served warm.

Enjoy

carolstickelmaier 09-17-2013 11:30 AM

QandE2010 Thanks. I'm going to try it.

quilter1 09-17-2013 12:09 PM

This is a fun recipe that really does taste like apple pie. A fun thing to make on April Fool's Day.

Blue Bell 09-17-2013 08:04 PM

I made this pie several years ago. Did not tell my family that I made it with zucchini. Everyone enjoyed it and then I told them that it was made with zucchini. They all thought that was disgusting. No one ate the last piece. HOWEVER, it did taste just like apple pie.
Thanks for the recipe, I misplaced mine, and I am going to make it again.

mjsylvstr 09-18-2013 03:01 AM

did anyone ever try the "RITZ Surprise Pie"? It is nothing (if I remember correctly) but the crackers, walnuts, cream of tarter, sugar and egg whites.........not even a crust to worry about......smear with whipped cream and it is like being in Heaven.
you would swear you were savoring on a slice of pecan pie right out of the south!!!!!!!

deplaylady 09-18-2013 06:49 AM

My Grandmother used to make it to tease my BIL. That was a long time ago - didn't know it was still around!

LavenderBlue 09-18-2013 09:20 AM

RITZ SURPRISE PIE[TABLE]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E8FFEE, colspan: 2"]Ingredients:
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 egg whites
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. sugar
20 Ritz crackers, crushed

[/TD]
[TD]1 c. chopped nuts
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Whipped cream

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E8FFEE, colspan: 2"]Cooking Instructions:
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"] Beat egg whites and baking powder till stiff. Fold in sugar, crackers and nuts. Add vanilla. Bake in shallow pie pan at 325 degrees for 30 min. Cool and serve with whipped cream.
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Chasing Hawk 09-18-2013 12:38 PM

I wonder if there is a recipe for this to make individual pies. My husband doesn't really care for apple pie.
Make one in a pot pie size tin to see how it is. I still can't figure out how it comes out tasting like the real thing.

Kansas Heart 09-18-2013 04:57 PM

This is an old recipe that originated during the depression days because it required no fruit but was tasty!