Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need pumpkin bread recipe baked in a can (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-pumpkin-bread-recipe-baked-can-t206334.html)

Jordan 11-18-2012 03:05 PM

Need pumpkin bread recipe baked in a can

Would like any help in getting a pumpkin bread recipe that is baked in a can. I have had this many years ago and would like to try it. Thanks to anyone responding.
Lorraine

duckydo 11-19-2012 06:15 AM

I have a cookbook that was put together by employees from AT&T years ago and it calls for baking in cans
It is
3 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Mazola Oil
2/3 Cup Water
1 # 303 can Pumpkin
3 1/2 Cups Flour
4 Eggs
1 1/4 Tsp Soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Nuts
Mix all together in mixer. Bake in 3 greased and floured 1 Lb. Coffee Cans. Fill cans about 1/2 full. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let Bread age for several days.

Hope this is the one you are looking for.. My SIL used to make this and it was so moist and wonderful

sewNso 11-19-2012 04:03 PM

wow, i used to do that also. but i just use bread pans now. old ladies, like easy.

mjhaess 11-19-2012 04:38 PM

This sounds like something I made years ago...Thanks for sharing....I will sure make this for Thanksgiving....

QuiltE 11-20-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 5665804)
Would like any help in getting a pumpkin bread recipe that is baked in a can. I have had this many years ago and would like to try it. Thanks to anyone responding.
Lorraine

If you have a favourite pumpkin bread recipe, just use it and put it into the cans. Fill about the same as you would a traditional baking pan (ie 1/2 or 2/3 full, etc.) to allow for the batter rise according to the recipe.

Instead of the coffee cans mentioned in the recipe posted by DuckyDo, I would use cans that would be the size of a slice I'd want to serve, to show off the circle! .... soup, pasta sauce, etc.

My Mom used to do this when she made her fruit loaves, to "pretty-up" the serving trays.
Also, works well when doing Christmas Cake and/or Steamed Christmas Pudding.

ScrapQuilter 11-20-2012 06:33 PM

Have made all my breads in cans for years.... cherry bread (red and green), date bread, pineapple, apple and the list goes on. I start saving cans a couple months before baking season.
They look so nice all arranged on a plater with all the colors..... red, green, yellow, orange, brown...... I use all my farorite recipes..... The bread is easy to get out of the cans if you use a can opener and take the bottom of the can off then you can just push the bread out and no washing bread pans. Have fun.

May in Jersey 11-20-2012 09:13 PM

I used to make several fruit breads in what were 1 lb coffee cans but can't do that any longer because
1 - there are no 1 lb cans of coffee it's more lie 12 oz,
2 - most cans aren't metal but plastic or heavy cardboard and not good for baking, and
3 - if they are metal the top has a ring around the inside that makes getting the bread out of the can difficult,

Just saw scrapquitlers idea, to cut the bottom of the coffee open and the bread will come out OK, of course, cut the bottom open after the bread is baked, LOL!

GrandmK 11-22-2012 07:49 PM

Pumpkin bread Question

Can anyone tell me what size in oz or cups a 303 can in this recipe is???

Thanks

Originally Posted by duckydo (Post 5667054)
I have a cookbook that was put together by employees from AT&T years ago and it calls for baking in cans
It is
3 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Mazola Oil
2/3 Cup Water
1 # 303 can Pumpkin
3 1/2 Cups Flour
4 Eggs
1 1/4 Tsp Soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Cup Nuts
Mix all together in mixer. Bake in 3 greased and floured 1 Lb. Coffee Cans. Fill cans about 1/2 full. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let Bread age for several days.

Hope this is the one you are looking for.. My SIL used to make this and it was so moist and wonderful