Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need a really good southern corn bread recipe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-really-good-southern-corn-bread-recipe-t222508.html)

djmat 06-22-2013 08:01 PM

I must agree with MS/L.A. G.R.I.T.S., it isn't cornbread if it isn't cook in a cast iron skillet because that is what makes it retain the flavors of the ingredients & makes the crust just right, no matter which recipe you use. My family prefers half yellow & half white corn meal & call it cake. Cornbread & sweetmilk, great country supper!

GrandmaPeggy 06-24-2013 08:19 PM

I've had my corn bread recipe since I was a newly-wed (49 1/2 years & counting to 50 years), in the 1960's. I think it was in a Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. I cut it out.
Perfect Corn Bread
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup shortening (melted)

Sift flour with sugar, baking powder and salt; stir in cornmeal. Add eggs, milk and shortening. Beat until just smooth (do not overbeat). Pour into a greased iron skillet (I melt the shortening in a #8 iron skillet as the oven warms, then pour nearly all the shortening into the mix). Bake at 425* until done, 20-25 minutes. I put butter/margarine on it as soon as I take it out of the oven so that it melts into the cornbread.

It looks and tastes just like the German moms made at our school cafeteria in the 1950's, so it is good to us. I didn't know that yellow cornmeal and sugar were wrong. I do remember my mom breaking up a piece of cornbread and putting it into her buttermilk for a nighttime treat. Thanks for the memory!

Recently, as I hurried to make it, I forgot the sugar. It did not rise or brown. We tasted a small bit, didn't like it, so I had to make another pan full to take. Needless to say, it was steaming hot as we took it to a winter lunch with our daughter.

RkayD 07-07-2013 06:13 PM

I keep a jar...I use a pickle jar..of Corn Bread Mix in my pantry at all times. Back when all my kids were little I tried the Once A Month Cooking plan.. LOVED it by the way! I ran across this recipe and have never found one to equal it.

Corn Bread Mix

4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cups powdered milk or dry buttermilk..or half of each.
2/3 c sugar
4 TBSP baking powder
1 TBSP salt
1 TBSP baking soda

Combine all stir with a wire wisk to mix it completely. Store in a container with a tight fitting lid in a cool dry place. Use within 10 - 12 weeks. Makes about 10 cups.

To make cornbread...

1 egg, beaten
1/2 c water
2 TBSP butter, melted
1 1/4 c corn bread mix

Preheat oven to 425. Butter your pan of choice. 8"x 8" works well.. In a bowl beat together, egg, water & butter. Stir into corn bread mix until moistened. Batter will be a little lumpy. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Enjoy your lovely cornbread.

patski 07-07-2013 07:15 PM

I add chopped apple to a mix, it makes it more moist and delicious

nanacc 07-12-2013 10:03 AM

The only time I use Jiffy mix is when I use my former MIL's great recipe for Jalapeno Cornbread.