Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need Recipe to cook tonight... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-recipe-cook-tonight-t185682.html)

Nancy Ingham 04-11-2012 06:44 AM

Need Recipe to cook tonight...

I have a (just slight of 4 lb.) “Top Round Beef Boneless Roast” that is store labeled “oven roast“. How can I 'simply' cook it this evening for dinner that will be tender and delicious? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
:) :)

Hemlock Tea 04-11-2012 06:46 AM

Crock pot! My mom puts them in with a packet or two of beef stew or pot roast seasoning (from the gravy aisle) and a little water, with onions, potatoes and carrots.

pamelainsa 04-11-2012 06:47 AM

Do you have a slow cooker or a pressure cooker? Plenty recipes on line for both. I do BBQ beef in the slow cooker. Falls to pieces. Think it is also called "pulled beef"?

Pam Riggs 04-11-2012 06:57 AM

Crock pot - add a can of cream of mushroom soup, water, and a couple of teaspoons of corn starch for thickening, salt and pepper, baby carrots and cut up a couple of potatoes. too good!

Neesie 04-11-2012 07:03 AM

Definitely crock pot or slow cooker! A bit of salt, potatoes, carrots, and onion. Throw it all together and forget it, until dinner time!

Nancy Ingham 04-11-2012 08:06 AM

Thank you for responding with your crock pot suggestion! I always cook my "pot roast" this way. Delicious!
I didn't know if there were another way to cook this 'oven roast' that would be flavorful and tender without using the crock pot? You know if think that we all get tired of the same ole, same ole.....and everyone here is so talented and creative....thank you for your help.

judys 04-11-2012 09:11 AM

You can do the same thing in your oven by just roasting it long and slow. Use 300 or 325 and let it cook all afternoon.

Tartan 04-11-2012 10:57 AM

I like to slow roast a beef roast in my small roasting pan in a 325º to 350º oven. I add about an inch of water to the pan and flip the roast a couple of times during cooking. I don't have a slow cooker. The roast juice and water left from cooking goes to make gravy for the fluffy mashed potatoes.

Gerbie 04-12-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hemlock Tea (Post 5132690)
Crock pot! My mom puts them in with a packet or two of beef stew or pot roast seasoning (from the gravy aisle) and a little water, with onions, potatoes and carrots.

My first thought as well - CROCK POT early this morning and your roast should be tender by evening.

resource fabricologist 04-12-2012 06:34 PM

I take about a 3 lb. beef roast, rub sugar...then flour over both sides. Brown both sides in some oil in an electric skillet. Place in a roasting pan and lay carrots across the top. Add about 1 cup of water. Bake on 325 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until tender. The sugar helps to make a nice gravey when thickened. I always add a little kitchen bouquet when making the gravey as well. If you want, I have also added the water and carrotts on top of the roast in the electric skillet and totally cooked it in the skillet. Turn it down low and let it go. You may have to add a little water now and then when cooking it this way.