Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Need Recipe for Sausage Gravy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-recipe-sausage-gravy-t200260.html)

QuiltnLady1 09-12-2012 06:06 AM

Need Recipe for Sausage Gravy

A good friend just went on hospice and some of us are bringing food to her extended family at the house. She used to make an awesome sausage gravy and I would like to take some. I know it is probably one of those "handful of this and handful of that" heritage recipes, but I would appreciate you folks who make it try. (I know she made a flour gravy).
Thanks

lillybeck 09-12-2012 06:53 AM

I use 1 or 1/2 pound of ground sausage depending on how much I want to make. Brown the sausage then add enough flour to coat sausage.
Stir then add pepper to taste then add milk or canned milk stirring all the time. How much liquid you use will depend on how thick you want your gravy to be. Cook gravy on a low med. heat so that it will not burn. If it gets too thick just add more liquid. This is the recipe I grew up with.

delma_paulk 09-12-2012 07:24 AM

That's the one I use, too. If you use canned milk it is Sawmill Gravy or Real Country Gravy.

delma

QuiltnLady1 09-12-2012 08:12 AM

Thanks. I am cooking for 12-15 so I will have to increase the amount of everything. DH is requesting that he be the official taste tester :o .

Bonnie 09-12-2012 12:25 PM

Sausage Gravy

1 lb. sausage, browned
1/2 stick margarine
5 Tbs. flour
4 cups milk
1 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
little red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. black pepper
Brown and crumble sausage, remove from pan. Add flour and butter and let bubble 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and add milk slowly and whisk in, blending well. Cook and keep wisking over low heat till thickened. Add meat and seasoning. Serve over hot biscuits.

bearisgray 09-12-2012 12:31 PM

I use a pound of Jimmy Dean regular or 'hot' sausage.

Brown it - break it up into tiny bits

The gravy part -

Add 2 T butter to the browned sausage - let it melt
4 T flour
Stir it up
Add 2 cups milk
Cook - stir until thickened

Basically - just a white sauce with sausage in it - get some of the fat from the sausage
I usually don't add anything more to it - maybe some black pepper -

bearisgray 09-12-2012 12:33 PM

I use a pound of Jimmy Dean regular or 'hot' sausage.

Brown it - break it up into tiny bits

The gravy part -

Add 2 T butter to the browned sausage - let it melt
4 T flour
Stir it up
Add 2 cups milk
Cook - stir until thickened

Basically - just a white sauce with sausage in it - get some of the fat from the sausage

There is another sausage brand, too, that I like - there is a chain of restaurants with the same name.

jodyma 09-13-2012 05:22 AM

I'm from the mountains of Western North Carolina where sausage gravy is an art. There are as many ways to prepare it as there are ways to prepare potatoe salad. I have to make a big confession(hope my mom is not listening), I NOW USE MIXES!!!!!!! I take one bag of mix, prepare it as the directions say(microwave) and add 1/4 cup of crumbled precooked sausage and VOILA---sausage gravy. Haven't heard a complaint yet from my dh who grew up on cat head biscuits and saw mill gravy----shhhh, secret, I also use frozen Mary B. biscuits.

May in Jersey 09-13-2012 05:32 AM

Jodyma, Your secret is safe with us as we're all for quick ways to cook as long as it tastes real good. May in Jersey

Tammi M 09-13-2012 07:15 AM

I just made basically this same recipe last night. I have found that Jimmy Dean's sausage has just the right amount of seasonings. We like it made with one pound of Regular and one pound of Hot mixed together. I make the gravy in the same pan that I cooked the sausage in so I make sure I get all the little flavor bits in the bottom of the pan...lol. Sorry-I meant to reply with the quote from bearisgray's recipe, as that is the one I am referring to.:)